[Dixonary] Vote in Round 2989 (FLIFFIS)

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 7, 2019, 9:19:42 PM6/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Twelve definitions of FLIFFIS  follow. They have been edited (very slightly) for format consistency and are in order by character count, which might not correspond to visual length in your email display font.

One of these definitions is, believe it or not, correct. The others are the products of your collective minds.  Please vote for two that you like for any reason (such as, but not necessarily, thinking that they might be correct) by public Reply to this message before the deadline that follows the list. If, on seeing the definitions, you realize that you know what FLIFFIS means, please notify me by private email to emallach <at> verizon <dot> net.

1. a soft plastic fishing lure.

2. grit, dust, or other fine debris.

3. strands of hair found on some legumes.

4. a coarse woolen fabric, yarn, or ribbon binding.

5. a woolly long-tailed nocturnal lemur (bush baby).

6. a term for whalebone when used in a corset. [obs.]

7. a twisting double somersault performed on a trampoline.

8. the extension of an exterior wall above the level of a flat roof.

9. a garment resembling a waistcoat lined with cork, to serve as a life preserver

10. any of the three leaf-like plates at the tip of the abdomen of damselfly nymphs.

11. a fall in diving where the diver attempts a double somersault and does not complete and thus enters the water flat.

12. a candy made from a brown-sugar based sugar syrup and egg whites, resulting in a fluffy, creamy confection. Common additions include nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, and flavoring extracts.

The deadline for votes is a bit under 48 hours from now: Sunday, June 9, at 9 pm US EDT. According to timeanddate.com, that is:

and other times in other places. Please check any time conversion that applies to you. That site is good, but nobody's perfect.

New players are welcome to vote. Submitting a definition is not a requirement for voting; the only requirement is that you not know what this word means. Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Vote on!

Your devoted dealer, Efrem

Judy Madnick

Jun 7, 2019, 9:45:20 PM6/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I see no good choices, so I'll vote for these two similar (but likely incorrect) definitions:

7. a twisting double somersault performed on a trampoline.

11. a fall in diving where the diver attempts a double somersault and does not complete and thus enters the water flat.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Shani Naylor

Jun 7, 2019, 11:00:38 PM6/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 & 10 for me.

2. grit, dust, or other fine debris.

10. any of the three leaf-like plates at the tip of the abdomen of damselfly nymphs.

(sorry I didn't submit a def - I misread the deadline)

France International/Mike Shefler

Jun 7, 2019, 11:33:07 PM6/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 11 for me.

Daniel Widdis

Jun 7, 2019, 11:57:30 PM6/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I’ll copy Judy and Mike’s double-somersault (one successful, one not) votes.  7-11.

Johnb - co.uk

Jun 8, 2019, 4:53:51 AM6/8/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#7 and #11 for me too

JohnnyB

Debbie

Jun 8, 2019, 8:43:58 AM6/8/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 6 please

Guerri Stevens

Jun 8, 2019, 11:11:12 AM6/8/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I vote for 6 and 7.

On 6/7/2019 9:19 PM, 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary wrote:
Folks,

Twelve definitions of FLIFFIS  follow. They have been edited (very slightly) for format consistency and are in

.6. a term for whalebone when used in a corset. [obs.]

7. a twisting double somersault performed on a trampoline.
did you include some kind of formatting in your message? I had trouble with my voting message. I try to have no formatting, so I hope it came through OK.
-- Guerri

Dave Cunningham

Jun 8, 2019, 4:41:01 PM6/8/19
to Dixonary

7 11 - but I do think 10 sounds a good runner-up.

Dave

nancygoat

Jun 8, 2019, 8:19:27 PM6/8/19
to Dixonary
I'll go against vox pop with 1 and 3

Nancy

Tim Lodge

Jun 9, 2019, 4:39:18 PM6/9/19
to Dixonary
I'll try 6 and 7 without much hope of being right.

6. a term for whalebone when used in a corset. [obs.]

7. a twisting double somersault performed on a trampoline.

--  Tim L

Christopher Carson

Jun 9, 2019, 8:12:21 PM6/9/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com