UPDATED ROUND 3100 - WINKLEPICKER - NEW WORD

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 9:14:08 AM8/27/20
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com

New word for Round 3100, barring too many DQs, is:

    WINKLEPICKER

Capitalization is not significant. Do not look it up! Please create a fake definition and send that definition to jmadnick at gmail.com before the deadline, which is Friday, August 28, at 7 p.m. Eastern Standard Time...or the corresponding time where you live! http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

If you know this word, please let me know ASAP. If too many players know the definition, I will find a new word.

Full rules are available here

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 9:41:38 AM8/27/20
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com
Does someone have an updated list? This is getting old very fast. The list appears to stop at 3004, and I sure can't recall what words have been played without the list!

I'm going to wait for a response before trying again.

Judy

Aug 27, 2020, 10:22:35 AM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
If you go to the google groups site for dixonary, you can search for words. It shows winklepicker was used in round 3035.

Paul Keating

Aug 27, 2020, 10:23:21 AM8/27/20
to Judy Madnick
Judy,

The new file is a Google Sheet called Used Words List in the folder Dixonary - Attachments from Classic Sites. It's not generally available yet, because I am having to rejig the website to meet the requirements of Google's overhaul of Google Sites. But you have access to it via Google Sheets in the meantime.

Regards

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

2020-08-27 15:41

Stephen Dixon

Aug 27, 2020, 10:33:39 AM8/27/20
to Dixonary Group
Too bad. I thought both of those were great words. A tip of the hat to both and Ryan for coming up with them. I find it kind of incredible that the two of you both dealt the same two weird words in a single round.

Steve  Dixon

      -- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool."  ~Anonymous

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 11:49:15 AM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
That's odd. I searched the word list at the link I've been using and it goes to only Round 3004. I'll have to update my link.

Judy

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 11:56:57 AM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean search for words used only since we started using Google Groups?

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 12:01:15 PM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry — where do I find the list via Google Sheets? Is there a link you can send?

Judy

Dan Widdis

Aug 27, 2020, 12:06:31 PM8/27/20
to Dixonary
> Do you mean search for words used only since we started using Google Groups?

Yes.

Search for it in the word lists (which handle rounds before the move here) and then just use the group search to grab the "missing" rounds since.  Go here:   https://groups.google.com/g/dixonary   and then just enter the woid you want to use in the search box at the top.

Paul Keating

Aug 27, 2020, 12:11:49 PM8/27/20
to Judy Madnick
Judy,

If I send you a link that disables shared access for other people. Don't want to change that just at this moment between versions.

In your browser go to sheets.google.com. You should be able to see the folder.

Regards

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

2020-08-27 18:01

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 12:12:14 PM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
This is ridiculous, but I guess there's no choice. This shouldn't be work — it should be fun! It's a crazy day for me, and this fiasco isn't helping. I'll get to this eventually.

Sorry for the rant....

Judy

On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 8:56:57 AM UTC-7 Judy Madnick wrote:
Do you mean search for words used only since we started using Google Groups?

Judy

If you go to the google groups site for dixonary, you can search for words. It shows winklepicker was used in round 3035.

Judy Madnick

Aug 27, 2020, 1:32:18 PM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I had already checked that: "No spreadsheets yet."

Judy

Aug 27, 2020, 8:27:33 PM8/27/20
to Dan Widdis

Just as an FYI: when I go to the Dixonary Google group via a browser, Google
considers me not to be a member of the group. Most likely that is because I
participate by email with an address Google does not recognize. It may also
explain why I see no search box, and cannot use that method to check for used
words. And anyway, would the Google group have all the rounds going back to
keckle?

On 2020-08-27 at 12:06 Dan Widdis wrote:

>> Do you mean search for words used only since we started using Google
> Groups?

> Yes.

> Search for it in the word lists (which handle rounds before the move here)
> and then just use the group search to grab the "missing" rounds since. Go
> here: https://groups.google.com/g/dixonary and then just enter the woid
> you want to use in the search box at the top.

> On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 8:56:57 AM UTC-7 Judy Madnick wrote:

>> Do you mean search for words used only since we started using Google
>> Groups?
>>
>> Judy
>>

>> ------------------------------

Shani Naylor

Aug 27, 2020, 11:32:39 PM8/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

This list has all the words going back to keckle (well, it does have keckle - I don't know about every other word in between). Johnny sent it out late last year and Paul (I think) is updating it. I find it handy to consult this list rather than consulting the website.

WORDSABC.TXT

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 28, 2020, 12:01:17 AM8/28/20
to Dixonary

The woid List that John updated through round 3004 goes back to Keckle.

The last 96 rounds are a work in progress that Paul is putting together.  In the interim, all rounds since we moved to the Google Groups in round 1803 show up if you just enter the prospective word in a search of group messages. If the search is empty, you’re good to go.

So, to pick a new woid (until the new lists are up):

  1. Pick a woid and check the existing list thru round 3004.
  2. If it’s not in the list, search the group which has rounds 1803-3099.  Obviously you’re duplicating 1803-3004, but that doesn’t matter. You’re just double-checking your memory of the last 95 rounds. 😊

In a short time, hopefully we’ll be back to a single list.

Paul Keating

Aug 28, 2020, 1:37:04 AM8/28/20
to Paul Solyn
Shani,

The out-of-dateness of that list was the original problem. The words in question were both played in Round 3005, just where that list stops.