RE: RE: [Dixonary] - Round 3192 - New word HARAS - Update and extension

amal...@comcast.net

Aug 25, 2021, 9:14:49 PM8/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I am mortified. The last 8 hours generated only one more def, offering only 8 choices, which just seems woefully inadequate. I will extend the deadline to 5PM US Eastern time Thursday, and figure out how to manage it.

More defs, please!

Alan

Aug 25, 2021, 10:31:17 PM8/25/21
to Dixonary

Aww, I wanted a 25% chance of getting votes.

Not that it would help, probably.

Thanks for HARASsing people to submit more. 😃

ALAN MALLACH

Aug 26, 2021, 9:09:34 PM8/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
We have here a total of 11 definitions of HARAS, one real and ten fake. Two definitions that were substantively identical have been combined.

  1. A mildly narcotic paste made from the crushed stamens of various species of anemones.

  2. A tall, often beehive-shaped superstructure set above the inner sanctum of a Hindu temple in northern Indian temple design.

  1. Breeding station for horses

  1. A large sand dune with smaller dunes that form on the leeward and windward faces.

  1. A male or female who is the center of attention for a group of males.

  1. First stage of molasses production at which point the juice is squeezed out of the raw cane.

  1. A man’s stuffed quilted doublet of a kind worn between the Middle Ages and the 17th

  1. To be overwhelmed by a herd of playful puppies at a dog farm

  1. In Buddhism, a state of mental unification where consciousness is absorbed in a specific object, arising through the cultivation of meditative calm.

  1. A mint and cinnamon flavored liqueur

  1. A Turkish fruit cordial made from dates, apple and apricot.
Please send me your votes by 9 PM Saturday US Eastern time, or the equivalent elsewhere. I will apologize in advance that there may be a delay in posting the results, which I will try to do on Sunday, but which may wait to Monday because of my travel plans.

Best

Alan

With a little more than eight hours to go, I have only eight definitions – from Lodge, Widdis, Naylor, Keating, Madnick, Shefler and Barrs, and of course, a legitimate English language dictionary. Since two will be combined (as they are all but identical), that means that only seven choices – albeit excellent ones - will be available unless I get some more over the next few hours.

Please rise to the occasion and send in your defs. Or let me know if I’ve inadvertently missed your email.

Alan

Judy Madnick

Aug 26, 2021, 9:12:25 PM8/26/21
to Dixonary - Google Groups
10 and 11, please

Judy

Daniel B Widdis

Aug 27, 2021, 1:22:12 AM8/27/21
to Dixonary

I think I’d like both 8 and 10, possibly simultaneously.

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of ALAN MALLACH <amal...@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 6:09 PM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: RE: [Dixonary] - Round 3192 - New word HARAS - time to vote

We have here a total of 11 definitions of HARAS, one real and ten fake. Two definitions that were substantively identical have been combined.

1.       A mildly narcotic paste made from the crushed stamens of various species of anemones.

2.       A tall, often beehive-shaped superstructure set above the inner sanctum of a Hindu temple in northern Indian temple design.

3.       Breeding station for horses

4.       A large sand dune with smaller dunes that form on the leeward and windward faces.

5.       A male or female who is the center of attention for a group of males.

6.       First stage of molasses production at which point the juice is squeezed out of the raw cane.

7.       A man’s stuffed quilted doublet of a kind worn between the Middle Ages and the 17th

8.       To be overwhelmed by a herd of playful puppies at a dog farm

9.       In Buddhism, a state of mental unification where consciousness is absorbed in a specific object, arising through the cultivation of meditative calm.

10.   A mint and cinnamon flavored liqueur

11.   A Turkish fruit cordial made from dates, apple and apricot.

Please send me your votes by 9 PM Saturday US Eastern time, or the equivalent elsewhere. I will apologize in advance that there may be a delay in posting the results, which I will try to do on Sunday, but which may wait to Monday because of my travel plans.

Best

Alan

With a little more than eight hours to go, I have only eight definitions – from Lodge, Widdis, Naylor, Keating, Madnick, Shefler and Barrs, and of course, a legitimate English language dictionary. Since two will be combined (as they are all but identical), that means that only seven choices – albeit excellent ones - will be available unless I get some more over the next few hours.

Please rise to the occasion and send in your defs. Or let me know if I’ve inadvertently missed your email.

Alan

Paul Keating

Aug 27, 2021, 2:07:36 AM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
10 & 11 for me.

Shani Naylor

Aug 27, 2021, 2:54:02 AM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 1 & 2

Johnb - co.uk

Aug 27, 2021, 6:18:07 AM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
mathematically; I will opt for #3 and #9
JohnnyB

  1. Breeding station for horses
  1. In Buddhism, a state of mental unification where consciousness is absorbed in a specific object, arising through the cultivation of meditative calm.

Ann Druce

Aug 27, 2021, 7:03:25 AM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

2 and 9 for me.

Regards

Ann

Debbie Embler

Aug 27, 2021, 8:19:30 AM8/27/21
to Dixonary
2 and 9 please

France International/Mike Shefler

Aug 27, 2021, 9:20:44 AM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 2 and 9.

Efrem G Mallach

Aug 27, 2021, 12:03:48 PM8/27/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
I'll go with the booze, 10 and 11.

Efrem

=======================

On Aug 26, 2021, at 9:09 PM, ALAN MALLACH <amal...@comcast.net> wrote:

We have here a total of 11 definitions of HARAS, one real and ten fake. Two definitions that were substantively identical have been combined.

Tim B

Aug 27, 2021, 2:30:07 PM8/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 5, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tim Lodge

Aug 27, 2021, 6:43:28 PM8/27/21
to Dixonary
As usual, I  haven't a clue. I'll guess at 4 and 9.

  1. A large sand dune with smaller dunes that form on the leeward and windward faces.
  1. In Buddhism, a state of mental unification where consciousness is absorbed in a specific object, arising through the cultivation of meditative calm.
-- Tim L

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Aug 29, 2021, 9:01:23 AM8/29/21
to Dixonary
4/11.   had weird health issues this past couple of weeks,   but hope things calm down.

Dave

Shani Naylor

Aug 31, 2021, 7:43:36 AM8/31/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Should we try and help Alan by pulling the results together? Mine is #4.

Efrem G Mallach

Aug 31, 2021, 7:47:41 AM8/31/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Shani (and the gang),

Spoke with Alan last night. He was back home from a road trip of several days - Thursday pm to Saturday morning with me, during which time he sent out the list of defs - and knew this was overdue. It's near the top of his to-do list. It's 7:45 am in his time zone now. He's a fairly early riser and will surely get to this soon.

Efrem