Round 3058 - KEFFEL - call for votes

Tim B

Mar 17, 2020, 6:06:33 PM3/17/20
to Dixonary
Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the
deadline, which is 1200 UTC (12 noon GMT) on Thursday 19th March. That should be 8 am EDT on the US
East Coast and 5 am PDT on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

1. a horse.

2. a hoof trimmer.

3. a camel saddle.

4. a pack; a bundle.

5. to argue, to disagree.

6. a strong wind of sub-Saharan Africa.

7. an orderly or adjutant to an officer in the Persian army.

8. [Scot] a type of brined cheese, made of sheep or goat's milk.

9. [NE U.S.] a social function at which free food and drink are provided.

10. var. kephel. A small round cake or pastry (from Armenian, keph, or hat).

11. a traditional Indonesian meal in which a wide variety of foods and sauces are served with rice.

12. [_Ger. sl._] the amount of time taken for a bureaucrat to answer a question. (First use ca. 1970)

13. (Bot.) a circle of two or more leaves, flowers, or other organs, about the same part or joint of
a stem.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Mar 17, 2020, 7:04:15 PM3/17/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with these (a noun and the only verb, which may make someone feel better!):

5. to argue, to disagree.

8. [Scot] a type of brined cheese, made of sheep or goat's milk.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Tony Abell

Mar 17, 2020, 10:06:20 PM3/17/20
to Tim B

I'll vote for 1 and 13:

> 1. a horse.

> 13. (Bot.) a circle of two or more leaves, flowers, or other organs, about
> the same part or joint of a stem.

And while I'm at it, allow me to apologize to the players for disappearing for
a couple weeks. Work pressures and time constraints were taking a toll, and I
had to leave the Dixonary folder alone for a while. It never occurred to me
that I might have won a deal...I didn't discover the slip-up until days after
Ryan McGill finally stepped in with a word. I owe him one.

Daniel B Widdis

Mar 18, 2020, 1:24:19 AM3/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9's illegal these days, especially for Tim B.

And 12 should be a word.

Johnb - co.uk

Mar 18, 2020, 5:03:52 AM3/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

On 18/03/2020 05:24, Daniel B Widdis wrote:
9's illegal these days, especially for Tim B.

yup, not being a citizen he couldn't get to NE US

Johnny_not-a-vote_B

Johnb - co.uk

Mar 18, 2020, 5:05:43 AM3/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

 #1 and #13 - please

JohnnyB

Hugo Kornelis

Mar 18, 2020, 7:18:41 AM3/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I know this is just in jest and I perhaps should not even post a serious response here, but this is a pet peeve of mine.
I wish Americans would stop leaving out the adjective before "citizen".
As far as I know, Tim is not stateless, which means he definitely is citizen of at least one country.

I do agree that he's not an American citizen, though.

amal...@comcast.net

Mar 18, 2020, 4:06:21 PM3/18/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 4 and 8.
Alan

Debbie

Mar 18, 2020, 5:57:50 PM3/18/20
to Dixonary
4 and 7 please

nancygoat

Mar 18, 2020, 6:32:28 PM3/18/20
to Dixonary
Randomly, 2 and 4

Nancy

Tim Lodge

Mar 18, 2020, 7:03:50 PM3/18/20
to Dixonary
1 and 6, please.

1. a horse.

6. a strong wind of sub-Saharan Africa.

--  Tim L

Efrem G Mallach

Mar 18, 2020, 10:44:00 PM3/18/20
to Dixonary
I'll try 4 and 7.

Efrem

On Mar 17, 2020, at 6:05 PM, Tim B <dixo...@siam.co.uk> wrote:

Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the deadline, which is 1200 UTC (12 noon GMT) on Thursday 19th March. That should be 8 am EDT on the US East Coast and 5 am PDT on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

4. a pack; a bundle.

Shani Naylor

Mar 19, 2020, 4:46:45 AM3/19/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 & 7 for me.

1. a horse.

7. an orderly or adjutant to an officer in the Persian army.