Problem with Distance 7.4

Nidhi Agarwal

Jul 20, 2022, 9:06:15 AM7/20/22
to distance...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am facing an issue in the visualization of the results in Distance 7.4. I have windows 11 and before updating the windows it was working fine but now it is not showing any result in the result section though the analysis was running smoothly without any error. The result section is blank and is showing green color.
Also, there is some problem with the log file while uninstalling it.
Please let me know the solution to this problem if possible.

Thank you
Nidhi Goyal
Project Associate
Wildlife Institute of India

.

Eric Rexstad

Jul 20, 2022, 9:22:37 AM7/20/22
to Nidhi Agarwal, distance...@googlegroups.com
Nidhi

We have not tested Distance 7.4 on a machine running Windows 11, so we do not have tested advice regarding your issue.  However, with previous versions of Windows under some circumstances, the Results window appeared blank after a successful analysis.

You might apply the previous remedy to the "blank Results window" to see if this resolves your problem.

Open the Preferences window, look at the first tab "General" and untick the third checkbox (circled below)
This turns off the compression of Distance projects, making the file size of Distance projects larger, but this may resolve your "vanishing" results problem.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Jan 20, 2023, 5:08:08 AM1/20/23
to distance-sampling
Hello Nidhi and Eric,

I have the same problem as Nidhi, although the Survey design engine is working fine.
I tried the solution proposed by Eric, but this does not change anything.

I work on Windows 11, with Distance 7.5. I tried to re-run an old project and the results dissapeared as well.

Did you find a solution by now, or anyone else that had the problem?

Best regards,
Barbara

Eric Rexstad

Jan 20, 2023, 5:13:02 AM1/20/23
to haur...@gmail.com, distance-sampling
Barbara

Can you help us narrow down the problem? When you say you reran an old project, was the change between "old" and "new" changing versions of the Distance software, changing to Windows 11, or both?  Did the results disappear only when running the Design engine, or also when running analyses?

Jan 20, 2023, 5:33:39 AM1/20/23
to Eric Rexstad, distance-sampling
(I am not sure my previous answer was sent)

The old project was initially run with an older version of Distance (6.4) and an older version of Windows.
The results were displayed well when I open the project and analysis, and then disappeared when I clicked on "Run" to re-run the analysis.

I used Distance to design a survey a few weeks before (for an other project), and there were no problems.

I guess this is not only a problem with showing the results, but also with the analysis as the Log window does not provide any information regarding the analysis (see picture).
Error.png

Eric Rexstad

Jan 20, 2023, 6:01:56 AM1/20/23
to Barbara Haurez, distance-sampling
Barbara

Your previous message came through fine. If I understand your description, running the Survey design engine with Distance 7.5 and Windows 11, you are able to see your results. When performing an analysis using Distance 7.5 and Windows 11, you cannot see results (and perhaps the Log window contents are shortened).

We have not received reports of such problems since the exchange you found since last July. The only way to research the problem further is for you to export the Distance for Windows project that is causing problems in the form of a .zip file and send it to us to investigate. Could you please do so? Meanwhile, as an additional experiment, could you open one of the sample projects shipped with Distance for Windows and try to run a simple analysis upon that project to see if results appear? That will help us learn whether the problem is specific to old projects or if the problem applies to all projects.

Thanks.

Eric Rexstad

Jan 23, 2023, 2:29:23 AM1/23/23
to Barbara Haurez, distance-sampling
Barbara/list

My colleague Dr Marshall reminded me this problem of Distance and Windows 11 had been previously reported. The problem resides with spaces in the path to the temporary files being made by Distance. Those temporary files are created in your user directory; in your case your user directory involves your first and last name. You can see this when you closely examine the Log window in the screen show you sent last Friday
OK, that's the problem, what is the solution.  There are three parts to the solution:

(1) Uninstall Distance 7.5.
(2) Reinstall, choosing an installation folder name that does not have a space in it. (For example C:\X\Distance7)
(3) Change the temporary directory name to one that does not have a space in it (For example C:\Temp) - see https://stackhowto.com/how-to-change-temp-folder-location-in-windows-10/ (this should also work for Windows 11).
I n this tutorial, we are going to see how to change temp folder location in Windows 10. Windows and your software constantly store temporary files on your SSD. To limit unnecessary writes to your SSD, you can move temporary files to another drive.
Let us know how that works.