Why are they(google meet) still using Plan B in chrome 92?

sung young son

Jul 21, 2021, 7:13:43 AM7/21/21
to discuss-webrtc
Hello, i have a Question.

look at the attached captured image, Google Meet is still Plan B.
Why are they(google meet) still using Plan B in chrome 92?
Also, some major services are Plan B, does anyone know why?
Now, even the Chrome browser is warning you to apply the unified plan.

Should I tell my friends not to apply the unified plan yet, because some major services are plan B?

Best Regards,
Sungyoung Son.
google meet plan b.png

PhistucK

Jul 21, 2021, 12:24:06 PM7/21/21
to WebRTC-discuss
(I am not a Googler)
It takes time to update the stack. I imagine they will make the deadline, because I have not seen any postponement of the removal from the Chrome side.

You should definitely not recommend anyone not to switch to the unified plan. You should recommend and encourage them to switch to the unified plan.

PhistucK

Henrik Boström

Jul 22, 2021, 8:14:27 AM7/22/21
to discuss-webrtc
Google Meet is working on it, there's an active experiment. I believe it should roll out further soon.

sung young son

Jul 22, 2021, 9:50:30 PM7/22/21
to discuss-webrtc
Thank you very much for all replies.

Perhaps other people (who had the same suspicions as me) also had their doubts cleared.

However, (because whereby & jitsi is plan B too today.) there must have been other technical issues, bugs, or service issues for each, and if so, it might be a long story, so the discussion here is likely to be limited.

Best Regards,
Sungyoung Son.

2021년 7월 22일 목요일 오후 9시 14분 27초 UTC+9에 Henrik Boström님이 작성:

PhistucK

Jul 23, 2021, 3:24:46 AM7/23/21
to WebRTC-discuss
Not sure whether you have seen the other thread, but the actual throwing in case of plan B (a diplomatic expression for "the removal of plan B support" :|) was postponed, so I guess Google Meet did not make the deadline. That is unfortunate.

Still, that does not mean other projects should not move to the unified plan (or start their project with the unified plan). The unified plan is the future, plan B is deprecated, no matter how much Google Meet uses it. Plus, it is not supported in other non-Chromium-based browsers anyway, so you had to support both of the ways anyway (unless you did not care about Safari or Firefox).

PhistucK