WebRtcHideLocalIpsWithMdns remove from Chrome://flags

Shachar

Jul 4, 2021, 12:15:38 PM7/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
In M91 the "WebRtcHideLocalIpsWithMdns" flag was remove from chrome://flags.
We have some deployment relying on disabling the feature via the CLI arguments:
"--disable-features=WebRtcHideLocalIpsWithMdns"

The cli argument still seem to function - is the intention to keep it or remove that as well ?

Thanks in advance

Harald Alvestrand

Jul 4, 2021, 3:26:20 PM7/4/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Can you give some more info on your use case? We have been discussing how to deal with scenarios where mdns is problematic in the past, but none of the scenarios have been compelling enough to consider this an urgent matter.

Roman Shpount

Jul 4, 2021, 11:47:05 PM7/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
A peer-to-peer delivery network, which is designed to work inside the corporate environments would be one such use case.

Harald Alvestrand

Jul 5, 2021, 12:47:11 AM7/5/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
The obvious use case is a peer to peer application in a routed network without an external uplink and without MDNS bridging (think Burning Man). In that case, mdns would be really unhelpful.
For the corporate case where there's enough capacity to the NAT unit, hairpinning STUN-derived addresses at the NAT may be workable.

But: I was specifically asking for Shachar's use case, because there's usually more things under the sun than what we've already discussed.

Roman Shpount

Jul 5, 2021, 12:15:27 PM7/5/21
to discuss-webrtc
Shachar is working for Peer5. They are using datachannel peer-to-peer connections to stream large video events to corporate customers. During these events, they typically set the WebRtcHideLocalIpsWithMdns flag using enterprise policy to disable mDNS. The main reason is to minimize delays and reduce the load on the corporate routers. I think they described their use case in great detail when MDNS was originally proposed.

Shachar

Jul 6, 2021, 5:46:08 AM7/6/21
to discuss-webrtc
Right,
The idea is to use this CLI flag in the enterprise use-case in order to remove the mDNS obfuscation and expose the IP. This way the peers can connect via host in a segmented network.
p.s: hairpinning usually isn't supported.

Shachar

Jul 8, 2021, 4:54:06 AM7/8/21
to discuss-webrtc
btw, we're also using it in tests

Harald Alvestrand

Jul 8, 2021, 5:37:02 AM7/8/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Guido Urdaneta
Guido, do you know if removing this from chrome://flags was deliberate?
Shachar, can you file a bug in crbug.com indicating a desire to have it back?

Shachar

Jul 11, 2021, 2:11:59 AM7/11/21
to discuss-webrtc

Philipp Hancke

Jul 13, 2021, 4:47:13 AM7/13/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
flags expire. I've just merged an extension until M100 to M92.

Message has been deleted

Shachar

Jul 8, 2022, 12:18:05 AM7/8/22
to discuss-webrtc
Hi,

We've passed M100, the flag is still used in tests.
Can we extend it further or unexpire it ?

Harald Alvestrand

Jul 8, 2022, 8:26:36 AM7/8/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Fippo and I have extended it to 120.