Website Hosting

Rebecca Maloney

Jan 25, 2022, 4:08:03 PM1/25/22
to Discuss-L
Is anyone else offering hosting like Denise does with usgenwebsites.org or Joy does her site?

Timothy Stowell

Jan 26, 2022, 8:47:30 AM1/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Are you looking for anything specific or special?

Tim Stowell

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, 4:08 PM Rebecca Maloney <rebeccama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone else offering hosting like Denise does with usgenwebsites.org or Joy does her site?

Rebecca Maloney

Jan 26, 2022, 8:56:46 AM1/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for a few reasons. I would like to move our Kidz project off of RootsWeb for one. And now with two more states maybe having to move hosting- others need to know too.

Rebecca Maloney
www.barkeyheritage.com
Volunteer with USGenWeb

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Discuss-L" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/discuss-l/CAF49Dn3JbRnXMx89bdefcT7OoALsMTZqy0MqahugrzF4g3LAsw%40mail.gmail.com.

Timothy Stowell

Jan 26, 2022, 1:40:01 PM1/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
I'm unhappy with GoDaddy since they had a security breach in September, for reasons that don't pass the sanity test, an outward facing accounts password file in plain text for account holders and subdomain accounts.

Customers not notified.  Discovered issue after they removed all FTP passwords, so had to go back and put passwords back for each subdomain.  Also one CC found an article about said issue. I contacted customer service who was surprised that FTP wouldn't work with no password.  Shaking head after that.

They limit FTP accounts to 50 which is ok for states less than 50 counties, interesting otherwise.

So having been burned in the past by Bluehost, the one I would consider is -

Hostpapa.com which does not limit the number of FTP accounts, subdomain or domains hosted.  They recently acquired lunarpages.com which NYGenWeb has been using for years. I believe two outages in 8 years minor blips as opposed to the long Rootsweb outages.

So, all that said, it seems feasible that some sort of sharing costs would likely provide what you want or need.

Tim

Dan M

Jan 26, 2022, 4:06:59 PM1/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
I been using bluedomino since 1998, never a problem, good interface.
good support. ...
they are an affiliate under twocows.
Great service. i have full unlimited domains.
Might try them.
Why look for a host, when you can have your own domain?
Dan