IDE used to construct FreeDV Project

Herbeton Bispo

Jun 6, 2021, 11:24:04 AM6/6/21
to digitalvoice
Hi my friends, I was very interested in the FreeDV project. So I would like to know how you develop to contribute to the project. I'm studying the code and testing it, but I need to debug it to understand more deeply how it's working. So I need to know which IDE you use (if you don't, give me a light on how to debug the code without printing the variables on the console. Thanks for the help.

Mooneer Salem

Jun 6, 2021, 1:51:28 PM6/6/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Herbeton,

I personally use gdb/lldb (depending on platform) for debugging. If on Windows, you should also be able to attach to FreeDV.exe using Visual Studio and specify the path to the Git repository for source code lookups. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Herbeton Bispo <herb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi my friends, I was very interested in the FreeDV project. So I would like to know how you develop to contribute to the project. I'm studying the code and testing it, but I need to debug it to understand more deeply how it's working. So I need to know which IDE you use (if you don't, give me a light on how to debug the code without printing the variables on the console. Thanks for the help.

Herbeton Bispo

Jun 6, 2021, 3:00:23 PM6/6/21
to digitalvoice
Cool, how did you set it up? I've never used gdb/lldb. Would you be able to direct me? I saw some tutorials on the internet using the make file, is that what you did? If possible show me how you did it. Thanks Mooneer K6AQ.

Mooneer Salem

Jun 6, 2021, 5:15:22 PM6/6/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Herbeton,

Most Linux distributions have gdb available as a package. For instance, on Debian and Ubuntu:

sudo apt install gdb

This tutorial over at https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~gilpin/tutorial/ may be useful.

As for lldb, I use it on macOS (my normal development system for FreeDV is a MacBook Pro) due to Apple using Clang for compilation. The commands in it are significantly different but they map fairly well to gdb equivalents: https://lldb.llvm.org/use/map.html

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Bruce Perens

Jun 13, 2021, 1:57:08 AM6/13/21
to digitalvoice
Old coders around here. All command line, no IDEs.

Mooneer Salem

Jun 13, 2021, 1:43:47 PM6/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't say I'm old, but I did pick up Linux programming back when using console tools was more common :)

On that note, since FreeDV is a GUI application, it wouldn't hurt to at least have a Visual Studio and/or Xcode project inside the source tree for people to use. Something to keep in mind for future improvement, anyway.

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 13, 2021, 2:08:47 PM6/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 2021-06-13 at 10:43 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
On that note, since FreeDV is a GUI application, it wouldn't hurt to at least have a Visual Studio and/or Xcode project inside the source tree for people to use. Something to keep in mind for future improvement, anyway.

I've been hacking at the code to implement my configuration idea, so far I have managed to add a new menu and sub-menu. The problem I always have with GUI programming is event driven stuff but I'm slowly learning how to make it work. Once it's behaving I will create a branch on github and let you guys know it's there. Don't wait up mind...

No idea if an IDE would help with that to be honest.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

David Rowe

Jun 13, 2021, 5:07:55 PM6/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like fine progress Brian, I hope you're learning and having fun :-)

Pls feel free to push your work to a branch and raise a Pull Request against freedv-gui if you'd like Mooneer and I to take a look.

I haven't used an IDE for some time, but I have been trying out different editors lately (currently using Atom for freedv/codec2 work).

Cheers,
David

Brian Morrison

Jun 13, 2021, 5:13:48 PM6/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-06-14 at 06:37 +0930, David Rowe wrote:
Sounds like fine progress Brian, I hope you're learning and having fun :-)

Interesting work, and I will see how it goes. Only one seg fault so far :)

When I think it will pass muster I will let you know.

--

Brian  G8SEZ