FreeDV/ezDV talk at QSO Today Ham Expo tomorrow

Mooneer Salem

Sep 16, 2022, 1:58:42 PM9/16/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just a reminder that I'll be giving a talk about ezDV over at the QSO Today Ham Expo tomorrow at 11am PDT (6pm UTC). More info at https://sessions.qsotodayhamexpo.com/miniaturizin. There are a lot of other cool talks that will be there, too, so definitely sign up. :) And no worries if you can't make it this weekend; the talks will still be available on demand for 30 days after.

BTW here's a preview of what I've been working on recently with that project:

ezDV v0.3 assembled board: https://imgur.com/a/4zxDRXH
Video demo of v0.3 transmitting wirelessly through an IC-705: https://youtu.be/QZFTGVIQLJY
GitHub source code/schematics: https://github.com/tmiw/ezDV

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Al Beard

Sep 17, 2022, 5:21:39 PM9/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mooneer,

Please fill us in on the ezDV project:

1) Can it connect to a transceiver with the DIN plug as on the Yaesu FT-857?

2) What FreeDV modes does it run? eg. 700D, 700E or 2020x

3) How does one enter the "Txt Msg" to transmit, as in the FreeDV app? <- most important for callsign

On your video, can you have the received audio received on another transceiver and the FreeDV app?

Great work.

Alan VK2ZIW

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:58:29 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.

Mooneer Salem

Sep 17, 2022, 11:57:13 PM9/17/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

To answer your questions:

1. It should work if you build a suitable cable. The "radio" port (left one as viewed from the top) is a TRRS jack wired as follows:

Tip: TX audio to radio
Ring 1: PTT
Ring 2: GND
Sleeve: RX audio from radio

2. Same as SM1000: 700D, 700E, 1600.

3. The software doesn't have support for that at the moment but can be added at a later date. The current priority is to ensure that the existing network support is stable.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ