FreeDV Activity Day

Mooneer Salem

Sep 19, 2021, 4:21:14 PM9/19/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Since 1.6.1 was just released, I figure it's time to schedule an activity day to increase interest in the mode. What are your thoughts about having it on Saturday, October 16th? Or is there a date that's more preferred by people here? I tried to go off what https://www.contestcalendar.com/contestcal.html said to avoid conflicts as best as possible, anyway.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Sep 19, 2021, 7:12:18 PM9/19/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Several of us on that day will be active with the Boy Scouts Jamboree On The Air (JOTA)  But that will be only during the day. We would still be available later in the evening.

Walter/K5WH

Don Taylor

Sep 19, 2021, 7:50:14 PM9/19/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Rats. We are gone for the month. Have fun.

Mooneer Salem

Sep 20, 2021, 12:53:25 PM9/20/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

Yeah, I'm envisioning it being similar to the monthly JS8Call QSO party in that it's for a 24 hour period. Keeping that in mind, perhaps we should mention all of the frequencies typically used for FreeDV in the official announcement to take into account band conditions (e.g. 7177 on 40 meters).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

wal...@k5wh.net

Sep 20, 2021, 5:56:23 PM9/20/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Excellent idea.

Sounds like a great way to get the activity up.

Jeff Hedley

Sep 23, 2021, 12:55:33 PM9/23/21
to digitalvoice
This sounds like a fantastic idea. I could be on the air all day in midwestern United States.

Bruce Perens

Sep 23, 2021, 2:00:06 PM9/23/21
to digitalvoice
That date coincides with the Pacificon ARRL convention. I won't be able to do a demo, perhaps someone else can.

Mooneer Salem

Sep 23, 2021, 2:31:52 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Good point. I'm open to doing a talk/demo there, actually, but I haven't heard back from the people organizing Pacificon yet.

Regardless, for this particular event, perhaps it should be pushed out anyway? It looks like first weekend of November might be a good candidate based on the contests supposedly happening then (but I haven't checked for other conventions/events yet). What does everyone think of that date instead?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Don Taylor

Sep 23, 2021, 2:54:32 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Hedley

Sep 23, 2021, 3:04:54 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
November 6th, correct? That sounds good to me too. Operating FreeDV is my top priority in ham radio at the moment.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "digitalvoice" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxP0noJbDScovGCWvGF1CCebvs0RkD%2BQR-MA-MQydFZuYg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Jeff Hedley

wal...@k5wh.net

Sep 23, 2021, 3:40:54 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Yes, November definitely works better for me.

Thanks,

Randy Love

Sep 23, 2021, 4:05:24 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Nov 6th is a good date.

Just an FYI, the ARRL November Sweepstakes Phone is the 3rd full weekend in November every year.
You may want to make a note to always avoid that weekend.

73,
Randy
WF5X

Bruce Perens

Sep 23, 2021, 4:19:36 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Mooneer,

Mike Patterson, N6JGA <N6...@arrl.net> should be able to get you in
touch with the right person for Pacificon. He sometimes takes a few
days to respond.
It's easy enough to get a hall table to do a demo, or a place outside.
It's good to demo even if the on-the-air event is another day. I can
give you breaks, I just don't want to be glued to a table for most of
the show. We can always have some of the crew on standby for contacts
on a Saturday.

Thanks

Bruce
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/CAAzDfxP0noJbDScovGCWvGF1CCebvs0RkD%2BQR-MA-MQydFZuYg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Bruce Perens K6BP
- Board Partner, OSS Capital LLC Venture Capital

Mooneer Salem

Sep 23, 2021, 5:37:36 PM9/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I definitely appreciate the pointer. I'll contact Mike Patterson and see if I can make some progress towards some sort of presence at Pacificon.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ