FreeDV test build

Mooneer Salem

May 31, 2021, 6:53:10 AM5/31/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A significant number of performance and other usability changes have recently been made to Codec2 and the main freedv-gui binary that we'd like some run time on. I've generated builds based on git hash 0fea124 (the latest master as of early this morning) and placed them on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l8v5bgitmuyuu8i/AAAdH4RIIBPSFmYiigEOG6fna?dl=0. They should be fairly stable but let me know if you run into any issues with these.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Jon Bruno

May 31, 2021, 11:00:06 AM5/31/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
That’s great to hear!
Keep up the good work.
73 de W2JON
JON

Brian Morrison

May 31, 2021, 11:45:19 AM5/31/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-05-31 at 03:52 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi all,

A significant number of performance and other usability changes have recently been made to Codec2 and the main freedv-gui binary that we'd like some run time on. I've generated builds based on git hash 0fea124 (the latest master as of early this morning) and placed them on https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l8v5bgitmuyuu8i/AAAdH4RIIBPSFmYiigEOG6fna?dl=0. They should be fairly stable but let me know if you run into any issues with these.

Hi Mooneer

I have pulled the latest git versions in the master branch, then built them using Richard Shaw's rpm spec files on Fedora 34 using GNOME and Wayland.

One thing I notice is that with the FreeDV window sitting on top of my wsjtx windows (running off a separate rx) there is  considerable flickering of the FreeDV waterfall as the mouse cursor crosses the edge of the FreeDV window onto any wsjtx window and back again, this doesn't happen when I move the mouse cursor onto the desktop. I have an 8-core 3GHz i9 9th generation machine so I don't think it is a CPU issue, more of a UI repaint or focus type thing. It's not a showstopper, but flickering displays are not my favourite thing :)

I have been following along with git master and updating as new commits appear so maybe I'm not noticing the undoubted improvements in the codec2 code and the freedv-gui code since the last official release. I can't give you the version hashes but the code is identical to that build with the build_linux.sh script, just packaged into separate packages in the Fedora fashion with my own sub-versioning to keep it separated from the Fedora-built packages.

Hope that's useful comment.

73

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

May 31, 2021, 4:42:55 PM5/31/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I was able to duplicate the flickering issue and have created a PR that should resolve it (https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/137). Feel free to pull it and let me know whether it does so for you as well.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2021, 7:36:59 AM6/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-05-31 at 13:42 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
I was able to duplicate the flickering issue and have created a PR that should resolve it (https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/137). Feel free to pull it and let me know whether it does so for you as well.

Thanks for working on this Mooneer, I will sort out a new checkout of the ms-ui-bugfixes branch (I only have master at present) and try it but it might take me a day or two.

Cheers and 73

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Pino Zollo

Jun 1, 2021, 3:05:14 PM6/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

~$ freedv
freedv: symbol lookup error: freedv: undefined symbol: freedv_get_hash

any reason ?

TU de ZP4KFX

Mooneer Salem

Jun 1, 2021, 3:14:56 PM6/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pino,

Is this with the Debian/Ubuntu packages in the link I previously posted, or did you build from source? If the former, can you confirm that you have installed all three required packages from the link (freedv-gui, lpcnet and codec2) rather than using anything your distro provided for the latter two? (The error sounds like it may be trying to use an older codec2 and failing.)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jun 1, 2021, 4:57:57 PM6/1/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I have now done this and tested the fix, it appears to be good under exactly the circumstances where it was flickering madly before.

Excellent fix Mooneer, thank you very much!

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 3, 2021, 2:10:08 PM7/3/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Apologies for not sending updated builds sooner. There have been a fair number of changes since then:

freedv-gui:

1. Minor UI bug fixes (Filter dialog control issues on macOS + waterfall flickering on Linux, among others).
2. PTT input support.
3. Updates to multi-RX support to use more threads/cores as available (note: there is an additional option in Tools->Options under the checkbox for multi-RX support to disable this if it causes problems for you; if it does cause problems, please comment on this list so we can hopefully resolve somehow).

Codec2:

1. 700E/800XA: enable equalizer when enabled by user (supposed to be done previously but not having done so before).
2. Downgrade assertions to no-ops for settings that aren't valid for a given mode.
3. Packaging: include Git hash and date in package versions.

Link to prebuilt binaries (Linux, macOS, Windows): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lu0xg4ig3y7hv5/AAAXeiA29akcDROsBiHkux9Za?dl=0

As always, let me know if you have any questions or run into issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 6, 2021, 12:05:20 AM7/6/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

I did some testing using David's wave files against your latest build with the following results.
Testing on current I5 Computer with Win10. Simplex mode with files played back using "options" "start play file from radio".
File wav_ve9qrp_700E
          700C selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio  text field wrong characters occasionally
          700D selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio unreadable  text field wrong characters occasionally
          700E selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio distorted text field wrong characters occasionally
          2020 selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio  text field wrong characters occasionally
File wav_ve9qrp_700D
           700C selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio  text field wrong characters occasionally
          700D selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio+ distortion text field wrong characters occasionally
          700E selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio+distorted text field wrong characters occasionally
          2020 selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio +distortion text field wrong characters occasionally
File wav_ve9qrp_700C
           700C selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal (None)
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio +distion text field garbage
          700D selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio+ distortion text field garbage
          700E selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio+distorted text field garbage
          2020 selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  clicking on audio +distortion text field garbage
File wav_all_2020
           700C selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  audio unreadable text field garbage
           700D selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  audio unreadable text field garbage
          700E selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  audio unreadable text field garbage
         2020 selected multi RX  Single thread (ST)  Audio normal  text field normal
                                                      Multi  Thread (MT)  audio unreadable text field garbage

In summary Multi threading with auto detect caused audio issues along with corruption of text field.

I am not sure if this is repeatable with other users.

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Peter Reichelt

Jul 6, 2021, 12:14:45 AM7/6/21
to digitalvoice
Mooneer

A separate issue issue I also noticed in both of your previous build was that the sync indicator was always red or green but did not toggle as sync was gained or lost ie it could be red even when synced. Also when first opend the sync indicator would remain black even if sync was OK. Stopping and restarting would turn sync indicator green!

Regards
Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 7, 2021, 4:07:27 AM7/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I think the sync issue may be related to something else I found while testing. I created a GitHub issue to track it for further investigation as it may be Codec2 related: https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/issues/143

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 7, 2021, 5:03:54 AM7/7/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Changes:

* Resolves issue with audio passthrough when not in sync.
* Resolves audio quality issue when squelch is off.
* Now uses actual audio sample rate when equalizer is on instead of a hardcoded 8,000 Hz.
* Resolves corrupt text field issues when in multi-threaded mode.

Let me know if you have any questions or find further issues.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 8, 2021, 11:10:38 AM7/8/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

Audio and text issues fixed. Thanks

A bit more info on sync indication color.

Iff I launch FreeDV and go into options and set Playback audio from radio and press start the recording starts playing and the modem syncs and audio out is heard but the "modem" color remains black, if I press stop and then start the "modem" then displays a green color ie visual indication of sync.

Iff I start Freedv and listen with no digital signal "modem" is black as expected. If I then go into options and select digital playback from radio, without pressing stop then "modem" remains black even though signal has synced and audio is received, iff I press stop and then start the "modem" then displays a green color ie visual indication of sync.

This behavior is completely reproducable in that the first time sync is achieved after launching the Modem display does not turn green. Stopping and restarting then restores normal operation.

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 8, 2021, 12:30:43 PM7/8/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

To confirm, the below steps are what you're doing to duplicate the sync coloring issue, correct?

1. Start the program but don't start listening yet.
2. Go to Tools->Start Play File - From Radio... and choose one of the sample .wav files (is there a specific one that causes this issue, or will any of them do so?)
3. Push the Start button in the main window.

Also, is this with multi-RX mode on or off? So far I haven't been able to duplicate the issue with multi-RX on but I could be missing something on the above steps.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 8, 2021, 9:13:57 PM7/8/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

To confirm, the below steps are what you're doing to duplicate the sync coloring issue, correct?

1. Start the program but don't start listening yet.

Yes

2. Go to Tools->Start Play File - From Radio... and choose one of the sample .wav files (is there a specific one that causes this issue, or will any of them do so?)

Yes. All files behave the same

3. Push the Start button in the main window.

Yes "Modem" remains black, even though file decodes OK

4. Push the Stop button in the main window.

5. Push the Start button in the main window. "Modem" goes green.

Also, is this with multi-RX mode on or off? So far I haven't been able to duplicate the issue with multi-RX on but I could be missing something on the above steps.

Multi_RX on either multi thread or single thread.

This is the same if following steps are taken.

1. Start the program and start listening. (no file)

2. Without pressing stop go to Tools->Start Play File - From Radio... and choose one of the sample .wav files (is there a specific one that causes this issue, or will any of them do so?)

3. Press open and file starts playing audio.

"Modem" remains black, even though file decodes OK

4. Push the Stop button in the main window.

5. Push the Start button in the main window. "Modem" goes green.

While I haven't fully tested all combinations I have observed the following behavior.

If multi_RX is off "Modem" remains red even though it is in sync and decoding audio.

I will need to do a bit more reearch on the latter behavior!

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 9, 2021, 6:10:30 AM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I was able to duplicate the issue on Windows but not Linux or macOS. It seems to be a possible wxWidgets issue but I was able to work around it on the FreeDV side. Can you try the build I put up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wm8v3z6ejhpx2yu/AADstHDSDLEndcLoMQxujSMla?dl=0 and let me know if you still see the issue?

BTW, for all who've been trying the most recent builds, how has CPU usage been with multi-RX mode? Are you finding that multithreaded mode is working better than single threaded, vice versa, or no difference?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jul 9, 2021, 7:51:53 AM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 03:10 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
BTW, for all who've been trying the most recent builds, how has CPU usage been with multi-RX mode? Are you finding that multithreaded mode is working better than single threaded, vice versa, or no difference?

Just tried this out with a build using all the latest code for freedv-gui and codec2 up to and including your ms-optimization patch from earlier today.

Decoders stopped, CPU is showing 2% as a baseline. Single mode decode gives 6-7% CPU load, multiple mode decode gives 9-10%, both on noise with no signal present. This is on a 3GHz i7 9th generation 8 core.

HTH

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 9, 2021, 9:41:38 AM7/9/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer
Thanks issue with modem colour appears to be resolved.
Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 9, 2021, 12:56:41 PM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

For multi-RX, is this in multi-threaded mode or with the "Use single thread for multiple RX operation" checkbox checked? If the latter isn't checked, can you try with it checked as well?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 9, 2021, 12:57:11 PM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Good to hear! Feel free to let me know if you find any additional issues :)

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jul 9, 2021, 1:04:03 PM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2021-07-09 at 09:56 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi Brian,

For multi-RX, is this in multi-threaded mode or with the "Use single thread for multiple RX operation" checkbox checked? If the latter isn't checked, can you try with it checked as well?

OK, with the single-thread setting enabled the CPU usage rises to a steady 10% whereas without it CPU varies from 9-10%.

Hope that is useful.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 9, 2021, 2:04:47 PM7/9/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

That was definitely helpful, thanks! I'd definitely appreciate additional feedback from others as splitting each supported mode into a separate thread could potentially do the following:

1. Allow for faster resyncs after mode switches and
2. Allow for multi-RX mode to be used on systems that may not have enough single core performance to enable it previously (but could potentially do it if the load is spread across cores).

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 10, 2021, 10:16:50 PM7/10/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

Using your latest build and using David's voice files there is no scatter diagram for any mode ie screen is black.

Only settings tested is Multi RX with multi thread

As previously advised running Windows10 on current generaton I5 computer

Regards

Peter VK5APR

JH0PCF kanda

Jul 11, 2021, 3:40:29 AM7/11/21
to digitalvoice
Share about bugs.

When the July 3rd and July 7th versions are operated in multithread for about 1 to 2 hours, an error occurs (attached message), and soon
The computer screen goes black and freezes due to lack of resources in the Windows system.
(It will not recover unless the power is turned off)

If you operate with a single thread, no problems will occur.freedv_error.jpg

2021年7月11日日曜日 11:16:50 UTC+9 Peter Reichelt:

Peter Reichelt

Jul 11, 2021, 6:28:27 AM7/11/21
to digitalvoice
I have seen the same problem, when I was testing my previous issue!

In my case FreeDV had been running for approx 1hr. While I definately saw the blackscreen I can't remember if windows recovered or if I had to restart.

On top of the message above I got another message " Freedv.exe application error. The instruction at 0x00000006e4ffed3 referenced the memory at 0x0000000000 The memory could not be read. Click OK to return"

Attempting to click OK was unsuccessful.

As I have only seen it once I was not sure if it was a random event or a subtle bug.

Regards
Peter VK5APR

Brian Morrison

Jul 11, 2021, 11:17:39 AM7/11/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2021-07-10 at 19:16 -0700, Peter Reichelt wrote:
Using your latest build and using David's voice files there is no scatter diagram for any mode ie screen is black.

Only settings tested is Multi RX with multi thread

Using the same settings on my self-built most-recent ms-optimization version for Fedora 34 I see scatter diagrams for all of the 700x test files except for 700C. Using the VE9QRP 700C wav file if I open the program from scratch I see a multiple QPSK constellation appear with 4 extra patterns centred on the 4 normal constellation points but after restarting either the modem or the playback it is either blank with a few dots randomly scattered or one bright dot in the centre of the plot.

I think the initial multiple constellation case is probably due to the initialisation of the scatter plot which only happens on program startup.

All these tests have multi-thread multi-mode Rx and the input from my radio muted using pavucontrol.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 12, 2021, 4:21:11 AM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was able to trace the reported crash after 1+hrs to a memory leak issue. That, the Windows-only scatter plot issue and an additional problem I found with different soundcard rates and the voice keyer have been fixed in the latest version I just put up: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1z31pzhww8acqt/AADQxQB0B0F6xZvVsiAwIDkRa?dl=0. Please let me know whether that fixes those issues for people.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 12, 2021, 6:48:30 AM7/12/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

Thanks for all your work bur unfortunately the scatter plot is not visible on my windows10 box.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that if the waterfall display is the only active pane then it takes approx 30 seconds for waterfall to scroll down ie the time scale is accurate. However with multiple panes ((spectrum at top and waterfall at bottom) it now takes 60 second for waterfall to go from top to bottom. There is a waterfall speed issue as the size of the window is resized. This is not  a serious issue.

Regards

Peter VK5APR

JH0PCF kanda

Jul 12, 2021, 7:46:32 AM7/12/21
to digitalvoice
I tried the version dated July 12th. I haven't communicated with this version
Even if I press the send button, the digital signal is not sent to the radio side
It looks like there is no microphone audio input either.
I saw it using the July 9th version in the same environment
There is no particular problem.
Have you tried sending tests on the July 12th edition?

2021年7月12日月曜日 19:48:30 UTC+9 Peter Reichelt:

JH0PCF kanda

Jul 12, 2021, 7:59:14 AM7/12/21
to digitalvoice
I tried the version dated July 12th.
Postscript
It seems that the microphone input is recognized in the state of Tools>
Audio Config> Transmit without pressing the start button.

2021年7月12日月曜日 20:46:32 UTC+9 JH0PCF kanda:

Brian Morrison

Jul 12, 2021, 8:26:30 AM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com, Mooneer Salem
On Mon, 2021-07-12 at 01:20 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi all,

I was able to trace the reported crash after 1+hrs to a memory leak issue. That, the Windows-only scatter plot issue and an additional problem I found with different soundcard rates and the voice keyer have been fixed in the latest version I just put up: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1z31pzhww8acqt/AADQxQB0B0F6xZvVsiAwIDkRa?dl=0. Please let me know whether that fixes those issues for people.

Hi Mooneer

Here is an attachment of a scatter plot when playing ve9qrp_700c.wav, as you can see it is essentially 4 plots overlaid on a 5th.

I also see this second attachment when restarting the playback, not restarting the modem. If I do this it reverts to the first attached plot.

Sent to your own email in case the list strips the attachments.

HTH

--

Brian  G8SEZ

scatter_plot_12_july_2021.png
Scatter plot 2021-07-12 13-22-57.png

Mooneer Salem

Jul 12, 2021, 11:28:09 AM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kanda,

It's related to the sample rate fix that I attempted to do earlier. I've deleted the build that's in that Dropbox folder and will upload a new one shortly.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 12, 2021, 11:30:15 AM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Does this happen with any other modes (e.g. 700E), or just 700C?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jul 12, 2021, 12:01:12 PM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-07-12 at 08:30 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Does this happen with any other modes (e.g. 700E), or just 700C?

It is only with 700C using the provided samples.

Something I have also noticed is that the dots on the scatter plot appear to be small representations of a 9-point grid, some have all 9 points illuminated but the 4 corner points are dimmer, some look more like a + symbol with the central point bright and the other 4 dimmer and the corner points blank. I don't remember this being the case with older builds.

It's all a bit weird to be honest.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 12, 2021, 1:28:18 PM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I'll play with it some more and see what I find.

As for the transmit issue, I just replaced the build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1z31pzhww8acqt/AADQxQB0B0F6xZvVsiAwIDkRa?dl=0 with one that should fix the issue.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Brian Morrison

Jul 12, 2021, 2:06:16 PM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-07-12 at 10:28 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi Brian,

I'll play with it some more and see what I find.

Yes, I don't know why it's changed, but I can't retrace all my steps easily. I need to brush up my git abilities, I am something of a novice.

One more thing is I often see a larger 'dot' in the middle of the scatter plot, it is a 4x4 matrix of vertical bars looking at it under magnification, possibly it's several or many of the 3x3 'dots' overlaid.

I have attached a screen capture, I suspect it may be too compressed to be very useful but maybe you can see something in it.

As for the transmit issue, I just replaced the build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1z31pzhww8acqt/AADQxQB0B0F6xZvVsiAwIDkRa?dl=0 with one that should fix the issue.

I built a new version with the latest from your ms-optimization branch today. It seems fine with the exception of odd scatter plot behaviour.

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Screenshot from 2021-07-12 18-56-59.png

Brian Morrison

Jul 12, 2021, 2:27:09 PM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2021-07-12 at 10:28 -0700, Mooneer Salem wrote:
Hi Brian,

I'll play with it some more and see what I find.

As for the transmit issue, I just replaced the build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1z31pzhww8acqt/AADQxQB0B0F6xZvVsiAwIDkRa?dl=0 with one that should fix the issue.

OK, this is in addition to my response a little earlier.

I have run the version with freedv-gui hash 24776be and codec2 hash 58fbd330 that I built a few days ago using the build_linux.sh method rather than my rpm build method.

All the dots on the scatter plot are single pixels, no 3x3 grids, but you can see that the scatter plot is pretty odd when playing back the ve9qrp_700c.wav file.

HTH

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Screenshot from 2021-07-12 19-18-39.png

Brian Morrison

Jul 12, 2021, 2:46:18 PM7/12/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
The same is true with freedv-gui hash c072149

HTH

--

Brian  G8SEZ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 13, 2021, 5:02:23 AM7/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I discovered tonight that this is related to multi-RX functionality in general. Due to the significant code changes required to fix that issue, I created a separate PR to review those as to not delay the ms-optimization PR. This PR is at https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/146.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 13, 2021, 5:42:11 AM7/13/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I created https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/issues/148 so that we can investigate the waterfall speed issues later. As for the scatter plots not displaying properly, what resolution are you running on your machine, out of curiosity? I wonder if what you're seeing is related to that.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 13, 2021, 7:04:18 AM7/13/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

Thanks

Display resolution 1920x1080

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 16, 2021, 2:51:05 AM7/16/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have another build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r6p6d58t6dmn2io/AABOO30C4DgN1C0E3A3w_PINa?dl=0 that focuses mainly on the audio filters. When testing, could you particularly focus on ensuring that the filters still work properly? The goals were to get rid of the noise that occasionally happened with analog audio and to have the equalizers work for 2020 RX/TX.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 17, 2021, 3:03:33 AM7/17/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

I now have scatter plot displayed for all modes! Same computer same settings etc. However on 1600 mode I only display the QPSK dots, not the BPSK sync carrier ie I have 4 dots not 6. Display starts from a central dot and grows to finish enlarged size over a period of seconds but at no stage do the BPSK dots appear.

Thank you and David for your dedication for continuous improvement of FreeDV.

Regards

Peter VK5APR

Peter Reichelt

Jul 17, 2021, 3:26:57 AM7/17/21
to digitalvoice
Hi Mooneer

Further update!

If I uncheck "Simultaneously Decode All HF Modes" then I see the BPSK dots on scatter display!

Peter VK5APR

Mooneer Salem

Jul 17, 2021, 2:20:26 PM7/17/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Glad that it's working for you! I believe the remaining 1600 issue should be resolved once https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui/pull/146 gets merged. I just tested a build based on that PR and I was able to see the BPSK carriers regardless of whether multi-RX was on or off.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 17, 2021, 3:27:42 PM7/17/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The scatter plot changes are close to being merged, so I generated a build with those and placed it at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgjhqmxxv8ep36h/AAB_C-n8nEq8v86guAA2pGusa?dl=0

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Peter Reichelt

Jul 18, 2021, 2:25:24 AM7/18/21
to digitalvoice
:-)

Peter VK5APR

wal...@k5wh.net

Jul 18, 2021, 11:15:16 AM7/18/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Mooneer,

It appears that the memory issue has been resolved as well.

Nice work as always

Walter/K5WH

Mooneer Salem

Jul 26, 2021, 4:53:03 AM7/26/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I found a couple of minor problems with the spectrum plot and multi-RX mode so I fired off another test build: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c0b7n6484jfzwt8/AAA1ckNI95JjfrKHqYaa71bua?dl=0. Let me know if you find anything else.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Jul 27, 2021, 3:37:12 AM7/27/21