Oldest hardware currently being used with FreeDV

Mooneer Salem

Nov 22, 2021, 12:33:59 PM11/22/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Based on recent discussion on this list, I'm curious to see what people are using to run the FreeDV application. I'd definitely appreciate if you can provide general specifications (CPU/RAM and OS) as well as how well the FreeDV application runs for you. Hopefully this information can help feed into some sort of minimum hardware requirement that can be added to the user manual and guide future testing.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

n1ig anthony

Nov 22, 2021, 1:00:20 PM11/22/21
to digitalvoice

Hardware Overview:

  Model Name: MacBook Pro

  Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,2

  Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i7

  Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

  Number of Processors: 1

  Total Number of Cores: 2

  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

  L3 Cache: 4 MB

  Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

  Memory: 16 GB

  System Firmware Version: 447.40.12.0.0

  OS Loader Version: 540.40.4~45

  SMC Version (system): 2.44f6

n1ig anthony

Nov 22, 2021, 1:02:31 PM11/22/21
to digitalvoice
sorry...

Windows 10.

No processor lag.

Receives well, but have not had a QSO yet.

Bob Morris

Nov 22, 2021, 4:39:20 PM11/22/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Mooneer,

I had been running FreeDV on a ten-year old Windows 10 desktop with an AMD quad core processor and had no performance issues except the inability to run 2020 mode.  I replaced it with a refurbished Dell Optoplex bought for $200, including Windows 10 Pro, and it now runs the 2020 mode.  No issued with performance.
Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
16GB RAM

Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty

Nov 22, 2021, 6:01:03 PM11/22/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I have it running at a I7-3770K (Ivy Bridge) 8 MB Ram in Ubuntu 20.04 as well as in Windows 11 (running in a VM at the same box)
and it runs fine. I have it also running at a MacBook Air with the same processor and 8 MB Ram.

Bob VE3TOK

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change

Max Planck

Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty

Nov 22, 2021, 6:20:07 PM11/22/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com

Oops, that should be 8 GB, not 8 MB! The I7-3770 in the main box runs at 3.50 GHz with 8 cores.

---------

Wingo Cabrera

Nov 23, 2021, 10:41:30 AM11/23/21
to digitalvoice
Hi all. AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, 32 Gb 3200 speed and windows 11. But impossible geting a decode, probably my fault, but impossible. All I get is a very cracking voice impossible to understand. And for sure using all what is supposed I have to use. 2 sound cards, headpones usb.

Curt

Nov 23, 2021, 1:57:44 PM11/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
System 1:    Pentium D 3.0 GHz   4GB RAM   OS is Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon/UBUNTU 20.04

Running only 700D.  Only real issue is with flaky ALSA Audio that crashes FDV if adusting levels while FDV is running.

System 2:  Will likely become my single use for FDV.    HP T810 Thin Client modified with SSD.    AMD G-T56 1.65GHz  4 GB RAM   32bit OS, x64CPU     Windows 10pro  debloated.      Only 700D.  So far has been running without issue.  Wireless gaming USB headset + USB E-Mu (creative) 0204 sound card.

(I run several of this type thin clients, wireless networked for 5 operator positions with N1MM Logging and a variety of support roles like panadapters.)

KU8L
Curt

Avast logo

Mooneer Salem

Nov 23, 2021, 5:01:22 PM11/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wingo,

Are you able to decode the sample .wav files (Tools->Start Play File - From Radio), or is the audio quality poor with those as well? Also, which mode are you attempting to use?

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ

Mooneer Salem

Nov 23, 2021, 5:03:43 PM11/23/21
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Curt,

Re: ALSA, there's some info in this older thread about using FreeDV with PulseAudio that may help with the crash issue you're seeing. Unfortunately the PR that implements PulseAudio support hasn't been merged up into PortAudio's master yet so this support is definitely not included in Linux distros by default.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ