Activity day results so far..

RD Powers

Aug 6, 2022, 12:42:39 PM8/6/22
to digitalvoice
Have heard a few stations on 20m, no one hears me so far.

I am using the Hermes Lite 2 SDR with 5 watts, and the Quisk application.

I have tried using the 'freedv' application, but I haven't been able to make it work with Quisk.

Meaning, Quisk has both built-in FreeDV, and can use any digital mode such as 'freedv' or 'wsjtx', via Pulse.

Quisk exports its own Pulse sources and sinks, but 'freedv' doesn't seem to find them.

Also, 'freedv' does not show up in the list of applications in 'pavucontrol' so I can't use 'pavucontrol' to point 'freedv' at the right sources/sinks.

I may try later to get on using a different radio, but have other things to do.

Regards,
RDP

Mooneer Salem

Aug 6, 2022, 1:01:19 PM8/6/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I use the HL2 with Quisk occasionally. A few things:

1. Have you built the FreeDV application using the "pulseaudio" option to build_linux.sh (./build_linux.sh pulseaudio)? On Linux, at least, PulseAudio/pipewire support tends to work better than PortAudio.
2. For Quisk, using the "Hamlib NET rigctl" radio and "localhost:4575" for serial port/hostname works for PTT.

-Mooneer K6AQ

RD Powers

Aug 6, 2022, 1:35:05 PM8/6/22
to digitalvoice
Thanks, Mooneer.  I think I've seen you on the HL2 email list...

I was able to get a few callbacks on 20m so Quisk's built-in FreeDV was working OK.

I was using whatever copy of freedv came on Debian 11  (bullseye) on an Intel PC.

Now I'm building from source as you say with the pulseaudio flag so hopefully that works better.

RD Powers

Aug 6, 2022, 2:05:06 PM8/6/22
to digitalvoice
Building freedv from source is a big win... Source version is 1.8.2, repo version is 1.4.3, repo version is well out of date. New version seems to handle pulseaudio correctly, but now no one is on the air any more so I can't be sure.  I suppose later I can transmit to a dummy load with one HL2 and receive with the other, but for now my play time is over for today....

wal...@k5wh.net

Aug 6, 2022, 3:07:55 PM8/6/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com

RD,

Where are you located?

Maybe we can find someone closer to you to turn the beam your way.

Walter/K5WH

Al Beard

Aug 6, 2022, 4:55:50 PM8/6/22
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

There's always my "listener" that WILL send back a reply if it finds // in your Txt Msg
and hears you over the HFC cable switchmode hash that wanders the 40m band.

7177KHz LSB mode 700D

And If you login to the WebSDR at:

This can decode 700D either USB or LSB, most HF bands.
and send back your audio and support about five users.
(all on the same band)

Keep smiling

(We will eventually get Digital Voice recognised)

Alan VK2ZIW

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 14:07:50 -0500, walterh wrote
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/digitalvoice/009501d8a9c7%24d34e9c00%2479ebd400%24%40k5wh.net.

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.