My machine did't manage to run Deal.II

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Apr 28, 2020, 8:08:23 AM4/28/20
to deal.II User Group
HI,

First of all I want to thanks professor Wolfgang Bangerth and Mathias Maier.

                  Your advices were very good to go ahead.

After instalation, I put the command:

administrador@administrador-desktop:~/dealii-9.1.1$  make --jobs=4 install

I attached the console outputs on archive Make_Error here. The command gone ok until 37%.

one of the replies:   virtual memory exhausted

and the last lines are:

make[1]: *** [source/numerics/CMakeFiles/obj_numerics_debug.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

My PC has the basics data:
      CPU: Intel Dual Core Pentium G630;
      Clock speeds: 1 x 1596 Mhz  and  1 x 2138 MHz
      Cache memory: 3072 KB;
      RAM memory: 1,6 GB
      Hard Drive: Almost Empty (85 GB)

It's possible to use this machine to run Deal.II?     I would appreciate your help!       Sincerily, Wilmar. (From Brazil, in time of Covirus!)
Make_Error

Francis Giraldeau

Apr 28, 2020, 8:21:20 AM4/28/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Compiling and linking C++ requires a lot of memory and it seems your computer has not much of it.

You can try to compile with only one process at a time: make -j1

You might try some swap, but that will be very slow.

Francis

Francis

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Apr 28, 2020, 4:33:22 PM4/28/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Wilmar,

Indeed, Francis has the right suggestion, although I’m a bit worried that its still not going to help you (unless writing into swap is something that you’d consider). A similar question had been asked a couple of years ago, and the answer that they got at the time was that

1GB is not enough. I think that you will need 3GB. We try to make it so that we don't require more than 2GB to compile deal.II but I don't think that 2GB is enough for the last few versions.

So it is, unfortunately, quite possible that your system doesn’t have enough RAM to compile using even just one process. I do hope that we are wrong in our estimations though. If you still don’t have any luck, might it be possible for you to temporarily acquire (i.e. borrow) some just to build the library? I don’t think that you necessary need that much to run any (or many) of the tutorial programs.

Best of luck,
Jean-Paul

David Wells

Apr 28, 2020, 4:45:32 PM4/28/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear Wilmar,

I suspect you have already tried this, but I think it is worth
mentioning just in case: are you running Debian or Ubuntu? If so, then
you can use apt-get to install the library without needing to compile
it yourself.

Additionally, if you need to decrease the amount of memory used in
compilation, it would help to use as few external dependencies as
possible. If you do not need complex numbers then it would also help
to provide the option -DDEAL_II_WITH_COMPLEX_VALUES=OFF to cmake.

> (From Brazil, in time of Covirus!)

Greetings from North Carolina. One good thing about being stuck at
home is that I have more time for deal.II these days :)

Best,
David
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dealii/452B80FD-3578-453A-BF8D-D83C03D9D023%40gmail.com.

Prasad Adhav

Jun 3, 2020, 5:35:42 AM6/3/20
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I was searching through the issues to see if anybody else had issues compiling dealii.
I am using Ubuntu 18.04LTS.
Is it possible to install a specific version of dealii (v9.1.0)  with apt-get?

Is this the correct library?
sudo apt-get install deal

Thank you.

Regards,
Prasad ADAHV

Garek Dyszel

Jun 3, 2020, 5:48:10 AM6/3/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You can try

apt search deal

to check (no sudo).

It's a library, so it will probably be prefixed with "lib". The library is the development version, so it should end with "dev".

Probably try searching for

libdeal.ii-dev

next.

Prasad Adhav

Jun 3, 2020, 6:01:06 AM6/3/20
to deal.II User Group
Thank you... its libdeal.ii-8.5.1

Is there a reason why the latest or different versions are not available?

Bruno Turcksin

Jun 3, 2020, 8:14:22 AM6/3/20
to deal.II User Group
Prasad,

Packaging deal.II and dependencies is a lot of work. When we release a new version of deal.II we update the development version of Debian and from there the package goes to other distributions including Ubuntu. So the next release of Ubuntu will probably have the latest version of deal.II. Maintaining multiple versions of deal.II in Debian is not feasible and that's why we only package the latest version.

Best,

Bruno