Almost installed Deal II, but there is a fly in the ointment!

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Jun 7, 2020, 9:54:39 AM6/7/20
to deal.II User Group
I tried to install Deal II (dealii) on a PC with 2 GB RAM, but after the command:

wilmar@linuxmint:~build$ make --jobs=1 install  (jobs=4 was bad)  it stops on     [ 31%] Building CXX object source/fe/CMakeFiles/obj_fe_release.dir/fe_q.cc.o.

So, I tried on another PC with 4 GB RAM. It builds CXX object until 100%:

[100%] Building CXX object source/non_matching/CMakeFiles/obj_non_matching_debug.dir/immersed_surface_quadrature.cc.o
[100%] Built target obj_non_matching_debug
Scanning dependencies of target deal_II.g
[100%] Building CXX object source/CMakeFiles/deal_II.g.dir/dummy.cc.o
[100%] Linking CXX shared library ../lib/libdeal_II.g.so
[100%] Built target deal_II.g
Scanning dependencies of target obj_integrators_debug
[100%] Built target obj_integrators_debug
Scanning dependencies of target obj_integrators_release
[100%] Built target obj_integrators_release
Scanning dependencies of target obj_rol_inst
[100%] Built target obj_rol_inst
Scanning dependencies of target obj_rol_release
[100%] Built target obj_rol_release
Scanning dependencies of target obj_rol_debug
[100%] Built target obj_rol_debug

but, there is a fly in the ointment. I proceeds:

Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "DebugRelease"
CMake Error at cmake/scripts/cmake_install.cmake:41 (file):
  file cannot create directory: /path/to/install/dir/share/deal.II/scripts.
  Maybe need administrative privileges.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake_install.cmake:42 (include)

Makefile:73: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

The command did not manage to create the directoty  /path/to/install/dir/share/deal.II/scripts

I feel that I crossed the ocean and died on the beach!   but the cause wasn't n-Cov19!

Any help?
Screenshot from 2020-06-07 07-32-41.png

Bruno Blais

Jun 7, 2020, 11:03:18 AM6/7/20
to deal.II User Group
Hello,
You are getting this error because the installation path that you specified is not valid.
When you did you cmake command, you specific the installation path to :  /path/to/install/dir/share/deal.II/scripts
This path on your linux machine is not a valid path, and consequently, this folder cannot be created.
You need to run cmake again and specify a valid installation path (something like /home/your_user/dealii/ for instance).
You are very close to getting it to fully compile :)

Best
Bruno

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Jun 7, 2020, 12:06:38 PM6/7/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Bruno,

Yes, the valid path, I think, is  /home/wilmar/build . Orientation on https://www.dealii.org/current/readme.html inform a different directory from unpacked Deal.II.

So, I returned to run cmake again, with the command:
wilmar@linuxmint:~build$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/wilmar/build
but cmake missed the CMakeLists.txt:
CMake Error: The source directory "/home/wilmar/build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt

Yes, CMakeLists.txt isn't on /home/wilmar/build. I don't know where the CMakeLists.txt for this compilation is.

Thank you in advance for orientation!

Wilmar (Brazil)  -  Running from Covid!

Bruno Blais

Jun 7, 2020, 12:41:10 PM6/7/20
to deal.II User Group
So there are two things you must keep in mind when you run cmake

The command should be something similar to
cmake /path/to/dealii/sources -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/path/to/where/you/want/to/install

The first folder you point to is the folder you cloned the deal.II sources to (which will contain a CMakeLists.txt
The second folder you point to is where you want to install. Keep in mind, the install directory should be different from the build directory.
What happens is that you go from the sources to a build folder, and then you install the library. The build folder is an intermediary folder.

Best
Bruno

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Jun 7, 2020, 2:17:44 PM6/7/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bruno,

Great! It functioned...

I put the commands:
wilmar@linuxmint:~/build$ mkdir dealii_library

So, I put the command and it runned:
wilmar@linuxmint:~/build$ cmake /home/wilmar/dealii-9.1.1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/wilmar/dealii_library
-- This is CMake 3.10.2
--
-- Include /home/wilmar/dealii-9.1.1/cmake/setup_external_macros.cmake
-- Include /home/wilmar/dealii-9.1.1/cmake/macros/macro_add_flags.cmake

At the end, nothing was on  /home/wilmar/dealii_library.  Maybe it is on dealii-9.1.1 but I didn't localize.

In the last step I did something wrong?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dealii/7db5379a-51ce-4675-b5ff-2a04a6b89b71o%40googlegroups.com.

Bruno Blais

Jun 7, 2020, 2:37:09 PM6/7/20
to deal.II User Group
Did you compile the library by using the "make install" command?
Cmake only configures the build but does not compile the library per say.
Best
Bruno

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Jun 7, 2020, 4:50:27 PM6/7/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bruno,

I did only the command    make.

It runs relatively fast. Now I put

make install

After 1 1/2 hour it is on 70% of Building CXX object source...

Until now noting is on /home/wilmar/dealii_library

I hope that it will finish ok!

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Wilmar.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dealii/b5098809-24f7-47a8-bf13-30f35f400c9fo%40googlegroups.com.

Wilmar Alves Cruvinel Lima

Jun 7, 2020, 7:52:33 PM6/7/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I manage to install it!

Thank you Bruno.

I don't know where you are from, but for sure it must be a very good place.

Three months trying to install this very important software. It was machines and operator limitations. It will be very important to my Electrical Engineering graduation.

Now I will resume The Finite Element Course on Cursera.

The step-1 example compiled and function!

Sore for my naives questions. You are a nice person. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Wilmar.

Bruno Blais

Jun 8, 2020, 11:30:20 AM6/8/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear Wilmar,

This is not a problem. Members of the deal.II user group are very friendly and very helpful. I was helped tremendously by a lot of people (JP Pelteret, Wolfgang, Luca) when I started.
Feel free to try and help others when you become more accustomed.

PS : If you must know, I am from the great cold northern country of Canada. Land of noble and funny animals such as the moose and the beaver.