Mechanisms for deleting cells/edges/vertices in some region

Lucas Myers

Sep 26, 2022, 12:04:19 PM9/26/22
to deal.II User Group
Hi folks,

I'm trying to construct a rectangular grid with features at arbitrary locations. The most straightforward way of doing this that I can think of is to generate a rectangular hypercube, delete the cells/edges/vertices around feature locations, and then attach other triangulations (e.g. a hyper_cube_with_cylindrical_hole) at the vacant locations.

Is there a simple-ish utility for removing parts of the domain in this way? And does the process differ for a distributed triangulation? I've been perusing the documentation for Triangulation, GridTools, and GridGenerator and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks much,
Lucas

Wolfgang Bangerth

Sep 28, 2022, 11:21:45 AM9/28/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
There are functions in namespace GridGenerator that (i) create a mesh
from another one by removing individual cells, and (ii) create a mesh
from two or more other ones by merging them. I forgot the name of the
former, the latter is called GridGenerator::merge_triangulation().

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu