About metallic ductile damage

itachi Ezio

Jun 6, 2020, 4:08:47 PM6/6/20
to deal.II User Group
Hi,

I'm Abaqus user and fresh new about using deal.II. I'd like to ask a few questions base on deal.II functions.

I'm looking for the simulation for metallic ductile damage behavior with deal.II ( for example with triaxiality and lode angle), is it possible?

And how is it like to write user materials in deal.II, especially in plasticity behaviors? Is it also quit sophisticated as in UMAT in Abaqus?

Looking forward to the answers, thanks for that!

Bruno Blais

Jun 7, 2020, 11:01:06 AM6/7/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear Itachi,
Deal.II is significantly different than abaqus in the fact that you easily write you own equation and solve from it using whatever mean you find necessary.
However, it does not come readily built with a library of physical solvers or constitutive laws. Consequently, you will have to build your own weak form for your problem of interest (although this can be made much easier with automatic differentiation facilities)..

So consequently, any user material can be defined in deal.II, but it is significantly different than what you would obtained using a UMAT file for instance.

Best
Bruno

Jean-Paul Pelteret

Jun 9, 2020, 4:34:45 PM6/9/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Dear Itachi,

To supplement what Bruno has already mentioned, deal.II provides some of the tools what you might find useful to implement constitutive laws or specific governing equations. To get some feeling as to what is possible, I would suggest that you take a look through the list of publications to see what the community has achieved using deal.II. There are also several tutorials and code-gallery contributions (current and pending) that might give you insights into how you might go about implementing such a constitutive law within a solid-mechanics code. You might also with to look at the “Applications” listed in the top bar on the home page (I can’t give you a clickable link, I’m afraid). I believe that at least one of them (PRISMS) has a partial focus on plasticity.

Best,
Jean-Paul

--
The deal.II project is located at http://www.dealii.org/