Compiler linking

Robert Kopp

Mar 10, 2020, 12:29:27 AM3/10/20
to deal.II User Group
I downloaded the source code for deal.II in Ubuntu, which contains the example files. (I'm a beginner.) I noted, however, that a binary is available for Ubuntu (18.04) and installed that, instead of compiling the library. Then I attempted to run step-1.cc from the source code package, after determining that the library was in /usr/include:

(base) robert@robert-desktop:~/deal/dealii-9.1.1/examples/step-1$ cmake -DDEAL_II_DIR=/usr/include/deal.II .
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:30 (MESSAGE):

  *** Could not locate a (sufficiently recent) version of deal.II.  ***

  You may want to either pass a flag -DDEAL_II_DIR=/path/to/deal.II to cmake

  or set an environment variable "DEAL_II_DIR" that contains this path.

It's not clear to me why this doesn't work, but it doesn't work that way on Debian either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Matthias Maier

Mar 10, 2020, 1:24:04 AM3/10/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
If you want to use binary packages I highly recommend to use the PPA
here in order to get the newest version:

https://launchpad.net/~ginggs/+archive/ubuntu/deal.ii-backports

After that make sure that you actually install the developer
version. All in one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ginggs/deal.ii-backports
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libdeal.ii-dev

After that, a simple $ cmake . should be enough to configure the
example steps.

Best,
Matthias