Using deal.ii 9.1.1 in a Qt5 program

Arnoud de Geus

Feb 10, 2020, 4:00:16 PM2/10/20
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I'm trying to use deal.ii 9.1.1 in a Qt5 program,
effectively trying to build a functional FEM UI on deal.ii
The usage of the Cmake system for Qt and Deal.ii
do seem to be completely incompatible though.

Has anyone experience with this?

Wolfgang Bangerth

Feb 10, 2020, 4:12:00 PM2/10/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com

> I'm trying to use deal.ii 9.1.1 in a Qt5 program,
> effectively trying to build a functional FEM UI on deal.ii
> The usage of the Cmake system for Qt and Deal.ii
> do seem to be completely incompatible though.

Arnoud,
I know nothing about the Qt configuration system and how they are
incompatible.

But the way to approach this would be if you had a separate project for
the GUI that simply uses both deal.II and Qt as external dependencies.
At this point, it doesn't matter any more how the two dependencies were
configured and/or built -- you just import them as you would do with any
other dependency.

Or you lean more heavily on deal.II's machinery and build a project like
ASPECT that utilizes parts of deal.II's configuration functionality in
the project's CMakeLists.txt file -- take a look here:
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect
In that case, you'd treat deal.II as a building block and Qt as an
external dependency. If you look at

https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L119-L154
you can see how ASPECT treats "WorldBuilder" as a dependency.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Bruno Turcksin