Tensor product polynomials

Giselle Sosa Jones

Aug 28, 2021, 6:52:27 PM8/28/21
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I need to create a local space of polynomials in 3D of the form Q_{k-1,k,k} \times Q_{k,k-1,k} \times Q_{k,k,k-1}. This space is very similar to the DG Raviart-Thomas space, with the difference that the polynomial order of each component is one order lower in the corresponding direction. I was looking at the file polynomials_raviart_thomas.cc to get an idea of how to create them but I am a bit lost. Can someone offer a suggestion?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Giselle

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 30, 2021, 9:15:16 PM8/30/21
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Giselle -- can you be specific about which part you have trouble with?
I've tried to improve the documentation of the key function of that
class a bit:
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/12726

Best
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Giselle Sosa Jones

Aug 31, 2021, 10:59:55 AM8/31/21
to deal.II User Group
Thank you, Dr. Bangerth, I think these extra comments clarify it for me.

Best,
Giselle

Giselle Sosa Jones

May 31, 2022, 11:55:12 AM5/31/22
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I sent this message a while ago and things became clearer for me, but I am still not able to create the spaces that I want. My goal is to create local spaces that look like this: Q_{k-1,k,k} \times Q_{k,k-1,k} \times Q_{k,k,k-1}, for k \geq 1.This is what I am currently doing:

- Created my own class of polynomials similar to the deal.II class PolynomialsRaviartThomas, but with the polynomial degrees as described above.
- Created my own class (FE_RTProj) for a finite element space similar to the one called FE_DGRaviartThomas. This is a derived class from FE_DGVector and the polynomial type is the one created in the item above.

My code does not even compile since I get error messages like: error: undefined reference to 'FE_RTProj::FE_RTProj<2, 2>::get_name[abi:cxx11]() const. The function get_name is defined in the FE_RTProj h and cc files (I basically copied from  FE_DGRaviartThomas). I am not sure if this is a C++ issue and/or if there is an easier way of doing this.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Best,
Giselle Sosa Jones

Wells, David

May 31, 2022, 5:28:02 PM5/31/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gisselle,

This error message occurs when you use a very old (probably GCC 4.8 or 4.9) C++ compiler with a version of deal.II built with a newer C++ compiler (or vice versa). A sure fix is to make sure you use the same compilers both for your code and the library. In practice, though, the ABI change occurred in GCC 5 so combining any two newer versions is typically okay.

Best,
David

Jun 22, 2022, 10:45:33 AM6/22/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I've tried updating my C++ compiler and recompiling deal.II, but I have the same error. It is as if the hh file is not recognized in the cc file. I know this is a long shot, but do you happen to have any other suggestions? Maybe there is an easier way to create this space that I need?

Thank you!

Best,
Giselle

Wells, David

Jun 22, 2022, 5:26:50 PM6/22/22
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giselle,

What do you mean by "the hh file is not recognized in the cc file" - is there a specific error message this refers to?

In general, if you need to implement a new finite element, you will need to write some code. Can you compile any program that depends on deal.II right now?

Best,
David