Question about complex value finite element

yuesu jin

Aug 15, 2020, 1:04:00 AM8/15/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear all,
  I am adding an absorbing boundary condition like step-24 did in the frequency domain, in which the time derivative gives a complex term.  I also found the complex acoustic wave problem step-29 which splits the complex wave function into two real parts.
  What I want to know is what if I directly set up the matrix and rhs vector as complex<double> ? Why does step-29 says "it is often more convenient to split complex valued functions into their real and imaginary parts and use separate scalar finite element fields for discretizing each one of them" ?
Best wishes,

--
Yuesu Jin,
Ph.D student,

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 16, 2020, 8:19:47 PM8/16/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Yuesu,

>   I am adding an absorbing boundary condition like step-24 did in the
> frequency domain, in which the time derivative gives a complex term.  I also
> found the complex acoustic wave problem step-29 which splits the complex wave
> function into two real parts.
>   What I want to know is what if I directly set up the matrix and rhs vector
> as complex<double> ? Why does step-29 says "/it is often more convenient to
> split complex valued functions into their real and imaginary parts and use
> separate scalar finite element fields for discretizing each one of them/" ?

The problem is that we don't have iterative solvers for problems in which the
matrix and vectors store complex values. We can, however, use PETSc's
complex-valued solvers as well as the SparseDirectUMFPACK solver. I think you
probably want to look at step-62 and step-58 for other options.

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

yuesu jin

Aug 16, 2020, 8:38:50 PM8/16/20
to deal.II User Group
Dear Dr. Bangerth,
   Thank you very much! I found step-62 yesterday and I have compared the difference between them.  I want to write two versions and compare their CPU time to get an exact result.
Best regards,
Yuesu

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 16, 2020, 8:47:06 PM8/16/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 8/16/20 6:38 PM, yuesu jin wrote:
>    Thank you very much! I found step-62 yesterday and I have compared the
> difference between them.  I want to write two versions and compare their CPU
> time to get an exact result.

That would be interesting to hear about -- please let us know what you find!

yuesu jin

Aug 16, 2020, 8:49:16 PM8/16/20
to deal.II User Group
Sure, I will add my progress following this email.
Best regards,