install problems with intel-tbb-2020.3 from spack

Ester Comellas

Dec 12, 2023, 11:18:40 AM12/12/23
to deal.II User Group

Hi All,

I’m trying to install deal.ii v9.5.1 through spack on a macOS Sonoma 14.2 with Xcode Version 15.1 (15C65), using apple...@15.0.0. My macbook uses an Intel Core i7 processor.

In case it helps someone facing the same issue as me, I had trouble with the boost package,  which threw an error related to the  'unary_function' in namespace 'std’. Following cpraveen’s solution to the reported problem (here: https://github.com/spack/spack/issues/40221#issuecomment-1737039476), I was able to solve it.

However, the installation process now gets stuck when building intel-tbb-2020.3. There is no error message, the problem is that it stays for hours (over 24 hours) at the “build” stage and I manually have to terminate the process:

==> Installing intel-tbb-2020.3-xju2gryb5jr3dx5nsbkdpl5ppu3n27v5 [45/67]

==> No binary for intel-tbb-2020.3-xju2gryb5jr3dx5nsbkdpl5ppu3n27v5 found: installing from source

==> Using cached archive: /Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/cache/_source-cache/archive/eb/ebc4f6aa47972daed1f7bf71d100ae5bf6931c2e3144cf299c8cc7d041dca2f3.tar.gz

No such line 174 in input file, ignoring

==> Applied patch /Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/tbb_cmakeConfig-2019.5.patch

==> Applied patch /Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/makefile-debug.patch

==> Applied patch /Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/macos-arm64.patch

==> intel-tbb: Executing phase: 'edit'

==> intel-tbb: Executing phase: 'build'

I’m using the following command to install deal.ii, which worked well for me in the past for this laptop with the previous macOS:

spack install dealii%apple...@15.0.0~gsl~gmsh~scalapack~cgal~arborx

I tried searching for solutions to the intel-tbb problem in online forums, but can’t find anything. Maybe I’m not using the right keywords or I’m not looking in the right places? It's hard to figure out what the problem is without an error message! Has anyone encountered similar issues? Any help or tips on directions to follow would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ester

Wolfgang Bangerth

Dec 12, 2023, 7:01:21 PM12/12/23
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 12/12/23 09:18, Ester Comellas wrote:

> I tried searching for solutions to the intel-tbb problem in online forums, but
> can’t find anything. Maybe I’m not using the right keywords or I’m not looking
> in the right places? It's hard to figure out what the problem is without an
> error message! Has anyone encountered similar issues? Any help or tips on
> directions to follow would be much appreciated.

Ester:
I think the best approach is to use Luca's .dmg packages that are already
pre-compiled.

Best
W.
Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Ester Comellas

Dec 15, 2023, 3:54:40 AM12/15/23
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wolfgang,

I've tried this approach, but get a compiler error when I run cmake on my code. I installed dealii-9.5.0-ventura-intel.dmg, which I downloaded from the deal.II website. I suppose the problem is that my macOS is Sonoma 14.2. I've read in this other thread (https://groups.google.com/g/dealii/c/2hQ_pqbejgM/m/JWNFoGb5CgAJ) that Luca was working on a package for Sonoma with Intel compiler in October, but haven't been able to find the .dmg file on github. I'll ask in that thread for updates!

Best,
Ester

Missatge de Wolfgang Bangerth <bang...@colostate.edu> del dia dc., 13 de des. 2023 a les 1:01: