Viewing node numbers and cell numbers in visualization

Raghunandan Pratoori

Oct 5, 2021, 10:30:10 PM10/5/21
to deal.II User Group
Hello,

I would like to see how the nodes and cells are numbered during visualization, much like in Abaqus. I am using Paraview for visualization. How should I write my mesh for it to store all this data?

Best,
Raghunandan.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Oct 5, 2021, 11:06:02 PM10/5/21
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 10/5/21 8:30 PM, Raghunandan Pratoori wrote:

> I would like to see how the nodes and cells are numbered during visualization,
> much like in Abaqus. I am using Paraview for visualization. How should I write
> my mesh for it to store all this data?

Neither cell nor DoF numbers are exported in any format we write. That's
because with the exception of scalar Q1 elements, there is no 1:1 connection
between vertices and DoF indices; for everything else, there is no connection
and as a consequence we don't output this information. Sorry :-(

Best
W.

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

Raghunandan Pratoori

Oct 6, 2021, 4:22:02 PM10/6/21
to deal.II User Group
Thank you for your reply Dr. Bangerth.

I want to check which vertices are associated with the what DoFs. How can I extract them for each individual vertex? I could not find any relevant extract_<..>_dofs function to do it.

Best,
Raghunandan.

Raghunandan Pratoori

Oct 6, 2021, 9:28:57 PM10/6/21
to deal.II User Group
I was able to do it using DoFTools::map_dofs_to_support_points.

Best,