Using the deal.II video lectures for finite element courses

Wolfgang Bangerth

Aug 4, 2022, 9:47:36 PM8/4/22
to deal.II user group

All:
Many of you have over the years watched the video lectures I have put onto
Youtube (and Bilibili in China):
https://www.math.colostate.edu/~bangerth/videos.html

These videos were originally intended to allow me more flexibility in my
Computational Math courses that I use for more 1:1 interaction with my
students. Over time, of course, the number of videos has grown substantially
beyond what one needs for a single semester, and the videos have also been
used by many others in their courses. But the way I teach these courses has
also evolved over time.

With a number of education researchers, we have investigated how these courses
should be taught, and how this actually works. If you are using these videos
to teach your own courses, you may be interested in the following publication
where we describe our course design and its assessment:

https://www.math.colostate.edu/~bangerth/publications/2020-learning-journals.pdf

This paper has a bit of a difficult genesis story. The computational sciences
community wasn't too interested in the paper (because mathematicians and
computer science folks "know how to teach best" and don't need anyone to tell
them), and the education community wanted something more education-y than just
a case study (a fair request). As a consequence, the paper has accumulated a
number of sections on education theory (specifically section 2) that may not
be of such great interest to many of you. But I hope that the rest of the
paper -- the course design and assessment sections -- may still be useful to
those of you who are or are interested in teaching CS&E courses!

Best
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth email: bang...@colostate.edu

blais...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2022, 7:23:59 AM8/30/22
to deal.II User Group
Thank you very much for pointing this reference out.
It is highly helpful and I think the community really appreciate you making all these efforts to not only move science forward, but teach it in a better fashion :)