Finite Element Software deal.II Version 9.2.0 released

Matthias Maier

Jun 10, 2020, 11:19:21 PM6/10/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Version 9.2.0 of deal.II, the object-oriented finite element library awarded the
J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software, has been released. It is
available for free under an Open Source license from the deal.II homepage at

https://www.dealii.org/

The major changes of this release are:

- Seven new tutorial programs: step-47 solves the biharmonic equation;
step-50 demonstrates algebraic and geometric multigrid methods for
large, parallel computations on adaptively refined meshes, and
compares matrix-based and matrix-free implementations; step-58
solves the nonlinear Schroedinger equation; step-65 illustrates
working with complex geometries and curved domains; step-67 and
step-69 implementing different approaches for the Euler equations
in compressible gas dynamics; step-70 illustrates flow around a
moving obstacle.

- Substantial improvements to the Python interfaces, including
Jupyter versions of the step-49 and step-53 tutorial program.

- A new triangulation class (parallel::fullydistributed::Triangulation)
that completely distributes a triangulation, rather than keeping
the coarse mesh available on all processors.

- The DataOut and related classes now fully support outputting
complex-valued solution vectors, including complex-valued vector
and tensor fields.

- A number of fixes throughout the library for problems with more
than 2^32 (=4 billion) unknowns.

- Improvements to the support for particle based methods as well as
to parallel hp-adaptive finite element methods.

- More than 320 other new features, improvements, and bugfixes.

For more information see
- the preprint at https://www.dealii.org/deal92-preprint.pdf
- the list of changes at
https://www.dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/changes_between_9_1_1_and_9_2_0.html

The main features of deal.II are:
- Extensive documentation and 66 fully-functional example programs
- Support for dimension-independent programming
- Locally refined adaptive meshes
- Multigrid support
- A zoo of different finite elements
- Fast linear algebra
- Built-in support for shared memory and distributed parallel computing,
scaling from laptops to clusters with 100,000+ processor cores
- Interfaces to Trilinos, PETSc, METIS, UMFPACK and other external software
- Output for a wide variety of visualization platforms.

Martin Kronbichler and Matthias Maier,
on behalf of the deal.II developer team and many contributors.

Wolfgang Bangerth

Jun 11, 2020, 6:02:42 PM6/11/20
to dea...@googlegroups.com
On 6/10/20 9:19 PM, Matthias Maier wrote:
> Version 9.2.0 of deal.II, the object-oriented finite element library
> awarded the J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software, has been
> released. It is available for free under an Open Source license from the
> deal.II homepage at [...]

All,
the link to it is somewhere further down in the announcement, but I'd like to
highlight as always the paper in which we summarize the major improvements in
this version:
https://www.dealii.org/deal92-preprint.pdf
You may find it interesting.

As always, many many people have contributed to this release. In
addition to the 17 authors of the paper above, section 4 lists another 79
people, also listed below. I think that's an awesome number, and we owe all of
them for all of their contributions -- thank you!

Best
Wolfgang & the rest of the principal developers

Pasquale Africa,
Ashna Aggarwal,
Giovanni Alzetta,
Mathias Anselmann,