HIRING [Remote]: Program Associate at The National Democratic Training Committee

Akiya Brown

Sep 2, 2022, 1:51:12 PM9/2/22
to DC Career Progress
Link to Job Posting

Are you ready to support and mentor leaders from across the country starting a career in politics? Are you passionate about bringing an equity lens to your work? Want to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come?

NDTC’s Staff Academy program is designed to recruit, train, and connect new leaders to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. Staff Academy prioritizes recruiting leaders that reflect the base of the Democratic Party– women, transgender and non-binary people, and people of color as cohort members.

In its fifth year, Staff Academy aims to graduate over 100 new campaign staff who are deeply trained in the essential skills needed to operate in the fields of communications, digital, and fundraising, as well as the underlying management and leadership practices needed to succeed on a campaign. This will be accomplished through a 10-week intensive virtual training program.

Job Description

NDTC seeks a Program Associate (PA) to recruit, manage, and coach the next cohort of Staff Academy graduates. A successful Program Associate collaborates with all members of the Staff Academy team on a regular basis to develop and execute a program that will attract, train, and prepare a diverse and talented group of individuals for paid campaign roles on Democratic campaigns across the country.

This full-time position will join the Staff Academy team and will report to the Staff Academy Program Manager, Jaime Swank.

Primary Responsibilities

Cohort Recruitment:

  • Use established criteria to review a large number of applications within a tight timeline to identify potential Staff Academy cohort members.

  • Interview potential Staff Academy cohort members to evaluate if the applicant would be a strong fit for the program.

  • Participate in a team-focused process to determine which applicants are offered acceptance into the Staff Academy cohort based on program guidelines

Program and People Management:

  • Support 30 Staff Academy cohort members in successfully learning and growing while completing program requirements through regular 1-1 engagement and coaching.

  • Design and implement strategies and experiences to build community and support Staff Academy cohort members and their professional development.

  • Manage communication with cohort members, including giving positive and constructive feedback, receiving feedback about the program, and problem-solving individual and group challenges.

  • Co-facilitate evening webinars and Q&A sessions to help cohort members achieve learning objectives and build community.

  • Assess program strengths and identify areas of opportunity to make recommendations on program improvement.

  • Support program graduates in continuing to develop their job search skills and build community among Staff Academy alumni.

Disclaimer: The job description is not designed to include a comprehensive listing of responsibilities that are required to be executed by the employee. In order to best serve NDTC’s mission, responsibilities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with reasonable notice provided.

The ideal candidate will:
  • Have at least one cycle of electoral campaign experience.

  • Have at least one cycle or 1-2 years of campaign experience in digital, communications, or fundraising/finance

  • Have experience managing people or teams such as managing peers, interns, volunteers, or staff.

  • Communicate effectively and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, trainees, staff, and others.

  • Be outcomes- and deadline-focused, well-organized, and a community builder.

  • Have the ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary during the program (October-March for 2022-2023). NDTC works with staff to ensure they have predictable schedules dictated by our program’s design. Regular work schedules will be adjusted and planned to accommodate these regular evening and weekend commitments.

Nice-to-Haves, but Not Required Experiences and Skills:
  • Familiarity with campaign training programs

  • Experience with reviewing applications and interviewing applicants

  • Experience with coaching people in job search skills

  • Experience bringing an equity lens to work

  • Ability to use tools such as Google Sheets for data analysis

Location

NDTC is a fully remote workplace. We have staff all across the country, with large groups centralized in Chicago and Washington, D.C.

Shared Responsibilities for All Staff at NDTC

To scale NDTC’s programming to reach over 100,000 Democrats, we need all staff to contribute to executing key moments of our training program. Staff are provided advance notice for evening and weekend work commitments. These duties are shared across all staff and may include the following as assigned:

  • Staffing virtual live training events for NDTC which may include some evening or weekend commitments with reasonable notice for scheduling.

  • Staffing large training events most often virtually, but may include in-person events in 2023 and beyond. These commitments typically are multi-day trainings over weekends and happen 2-4 times per year.

  • Participating in a cross organizational committee or working group such as our Equity and Inclusion Committee or Accessibility Committee.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: NDTC requires all full-time, exempt employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination per CDC guidelines, unless a medical or religious accommodation is requested and approved. Reasonable time frames for compliance will be provided for candidates who need to complete a full vaccination cycle under this policy. Please reach out if you have further questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy at NDTC.

About NDTC as an Employer

NDTC believes our differences enhance our strength as a political party and as a nation. We, as an organization, benefit from staff who come from diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.

Compensation + Benefits:

  • Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $50,000 to 60,000 per year

  • Healthcare: 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance

  • Retirement Option: 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k)

  • Flexible paid time off + all Federal holidays off + NDTC’s offices close for one week for Thanksgiving and a two-week winter break at the end of December

  • Equipment: Laptop, keyboard, mouse, monitor

  • Professional Development: At NDTC, we value professional development and career growth. We provide $700 per calendar year for each staff member’s professional development.

Application Process

Applications received before September 18 will be prioritized. After September 18, applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The hiring process for this role will include a 4-step process which we expect to take about 4-6 weeks upon receipt of application. The ideal start date is no later than December 1.

To apply please email abr...@traindemocrats.org:

  • Your resume

  • A cover letter that describes your experience managing a group to achieve a shared goal, its outcomes, and the transferable skills you learned

  • The date you are available to start.

Please list “Staff Academy Program Associate” in the subject line. No calls, please.