Altis help desired

Joseph A Hochadel

Sep 13, 2022, 1:29:01 PM9/13/22
to Dayton ARea Thermal Soarers
Hello all,

I bought myself a practice powered glider and an Altis v4+.  I downloaded the software and all that stuff.  My question is, what access do I need to have to the unit itself during a contest.  If I can see the screen when I remove the canopy is that sufficient?  What would the ultimate access solution be, so I can find the right place for it in my glider?

Joe H.

Joe Sampietro

Sep 13, 2022, 1:40:22 PM9/13/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
As long as you can see the a screen you should be fine.
Easy access to the battery connection that powers it as well is essential in the event you need to reset it quickly.

Barry Andersen

Sep 13, 2022, 1:40:44 PM9/13/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
If you can read the screen with the canopy removed you are good.  The V4+ will show F5J, then slowly cycle to your altitude.  There is no reason to examine the Altis beyond that initial reading.

You may want to keep the Altis somewhat accessible in order to change from F5J to ALES. Or, perhaps leave a lead to connect to your computer or device that controls the Altis.   Either setup reads directly on the Altis.  If set to ALES, the face will read ALES 150, or 100 or 200, your choice.  For F5J the face shows F5J, the software gives you the choice to allow a restart, you do want to check that box.

In all cases, my strong recommendation is to completely power down the Altis between flights to avoid the dreaded set of bars that indicate a restart, resulting in a zero flight.

Hope this helps

Barry

Joseph A Hochadel

Sep 14, 2022, 9:21:54 PM9/14/22
to Dayton ARea Thermal Soarers
Another question:

1)  In ALES competition, what screen does the scorekeeper need to see at the end of the round?  Or is it just assumed that if you've selected "ALES 150", the motor will turn off at the appropriate altitude?

2)  Do we still use timekeepers for each pilot?

3)  My transmitter insists on putting the airbrake control on the throttle stick.  Right now, the throttle stick is doing dual duty for throttle & crow.  That makes for a problem if you allow emergency restarts of the motor AND want to use the airbrake.  I'm considering using ch8 for the throttle, controlled with the left side slider.  (I have camber adjustment on the right side slider)  How are the throttle & airbrake divied up on a typical transmitter today?

I flew a few flights this afternoon at Twin Towers Park.  The first few flights were just for finding the best CG and trimming out for best glide.  By the end of the session, I was getting 8-9min flights.  I think that the CG can still move a little further aft to boost the sensitivity to thermals.

Unfortunately, my schedule is such that I won't be able to make any contests until the Oct 18th, ALES contest.  But next year,  I'll be holding the schedule open for contests!  I'm really looking forward to it!

Joe Hochadel

Joseph A Hochadel

Sep 14, 2022, 9:32:11 PM9/14/22
to Dayton ARea Thermal Soarers
I did mean October 16th.  I get "dumb thumbs" at the keyboard too!  ;-)

Joe Sampietro

Sep 14, 2022, 9:34:06 PM9/14/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 9:21 PM Joseph A Hochadel <rhythm....@gmail.com> wrote:
Another question:

1)  In ALES competition, what screen does the scorekeeper need to see at the end of the round?  Or is it just assumed that if you've selected "ALES 150", the motor will turn off at the appropriate altitude?
Scorekeeper does not need to see the screen. Only you do. It is the honor system that you have it set correctly. If you are launching much higher than the rest of the group, it will be obvious.
2)  Do we still use timekeepers for each pilot?
Yes
3)  My transmitter insists on putting the airbrake control on the throttle stick.  Right now, the throttle stick is doing dual duty for throttle & crow.  That makes for a problem if you allow emergency restarts of the motor AND want to use the airbrake.  I'm considering using ch8 for the throttle, controlled with the left side slider.  (I have camber adjustment on the right side slider)  How are the throttle & airbrake divied up on a typical transmitter today?
That is the normal layout for most of us from what I can tell. Left slider or the three position switch for throttle as you only need it for the launch, or to save your plane. Left stick is flaps/ crow, Rigth slider is typically camber fine adjust.

Mark Groves

Sep 15, 2022, 8:01:10 AM9/15/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joe,
Your timer/spotter or it may just be you, if using phone scoring, needs to see the screen that has the altitude displayed (or the dreaded three dashed meaning a motor restart or other launch anomaly).

Yes you will need a timer/spotter for your competition round/group flight.

I fly with a JR radio. Using 8/9 channel receivers. With my trans I can activate or inhibit switches/channels. I have my throttle on my left slider, flaps or spoilers and rudder on the left stick and camber on the right slider.
I also have the flaps on a two position toggle that turns the flaps on or off and leaves the rudder still operable.

Launch flaps are on the left three position switch. That switch setting take’s precedence overs others dealing with the flaps.

You might post up what radio you are using as others might provide some guidance.

Regards,
Mark

Sent from my iPhone

Jay I Watkins

Sep 15, 2022, 9:32:53 AM9/15/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

What transmitter are you using ?

Jay Watkins

Joseph Hochadel

Sep 15, 2022, 10:54:05 AM9/15/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jay,

I fly with a Futaba T9CAP.  I have an FRSky 2.4gHz module in place of the Futaba 72mHz module.  It was only a year or so old when I quit flying.  I had planned to use it for a year or so, until I get a chance to figure out which of the modern xmtrs to purchase, but the module uses the ACCST protocol.  FRSky has pretty much moved past that protocol, so I'll need to purchase a new xmtr soon, probably before the next contest season starts.

Best regards,
Joe Hochadel

Jeff Huntsman

Sep 15, 2022, 4:15:22 PM9/15/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I have used the Altis V4 and 4+.
The only real issue I have had is the memory needs cleared out after a few hundred fights. It will give you a warning.
I also have the GPS unit which provides a little more data but don't expect the speed to be of much benefit.
Jeff Huntsman

Jeff

Oct 28, 2022, 1:39:09 PM10/28/22
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
You will need to be able to read the launch height at F5J contests after each flight . At ALES contest just set it to ALES150 and your good to go.

Good luck the Aerobtec units are very useful for many things.

Jeff Huntsman