Twin Towers 2022

Norman Poti

Nov 17, 2021, 3:10:20 PM11/17/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com, midohio...@googlegroups.com, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gilbert Perez, Tom Boice
Guys,
     A contest calendar is being generated for the flying season here in the midwest.  Deconfliction with other midwest activities such as the Nationals, OVSS weekends, and traditional holidays was accomplished and yielded the attached Twin Towers schedule.  The five weekends listed have been reserved with Green County and permits have been signed.  Note on the schedule 2 of the weekends have designated contests.  Contest formats for the 3 others will be determined in the near future.  Any inputs are welcome and will be discussed at future meetings.  Please plan your 2022 year with this calendar in mind.

     On another topic it was noted by several contest directors that the DARTS contest computer has developed several issues primarily due to its age.  In order to resolve these and move to more powerful scoring/timekeeping programs a new computer needs to be procured.  Inputs into the requirements and make are welcomed.  I propose the club buy one next week during  Black Friday deals. I propose utilizing up to $500 for that purchase.  Please second the motion if you agree.

     The next club activity is on New Year's Day at Tom Boice's farm in Xenia.  Flying, lunch, and meeting activities are being planned.  Details will be forthcoming.  See everyone then.

Norman
Schedule 2022.docx

Marc Marcum

Nov 17, 2021, 3:18:42 PM11/17/21
to Norman Poti, dayton...@googlegroups.com, Mid Ohio Soaring, Jay Watkins, Gilbert Perez, Tom Boice
Looks good Norm. I've been in communication with Chris Bajorek of F5J and Tom Broeski to coordinate dates for the F5J contest here in Elizabethtown and all has been settled and we will be added to the calendar for May 14 and 15 as sanctioned contest. Marc

Barry Andersen

Nov 17, 2021, 5:10:50 PM11/17/21
to Norman Poti, dayton...@googlegroups.com, midohio...@googlegroups.com, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gil Perez, Tom Boice
I’m happy to support the request to use $500 for an updated computer to run GliderScore.  I’m just finishing a timer/clock for use with GS.   Works both wired and wireless on 900 MHz.

I’ll let you know when the Aeromodelers contest is approved for an F5J contest on our September date.  Our spring contest will likely be a day of F5J or ALES and a day of full rules F5J to test things out for the September tour event.

Barry

--
Mid Ohio Soaring Society Events Calendar: https://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=ujol3k8hii801...@group.calendar.google.com
<Schedule 2022.docx>

mrbr...@aol.com

Nov 17, 2021, 5:26:05 PM11/17/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Norm,
I second the motion for the new computer.
- Mike

Jerry Shape

Nov 17, 2021, 7:50:51 PM11/17/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Buy it

Sent from my iPhone

Jerry Shape

Nov 17, 2021, 7:50:51 PM11/17/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Buy it

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Sampietro

Nov 18, 2021, 8:39:49 AM11/18/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Second on the computer.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 3:10 PM Norman Poti <ndp...@gmail.com> wrote:

JD Filkins

Nov 18, 2021, 8:54:30 PM11/18/21
to Norman Poti, dayton...@googlegroups.com, Mid Ohio Soaring Society, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gilbert Perez, Tom Boice
I'll second the new computer but spend up to $700. You may not need that much but... More Memory (16 GB Minimum), and i7 11th Gen CPU at least. Windows 11 if Gliderscore supports it, Windows 10 with free upgrade is fine (for now) if not.  Hard drive, video, sound, and other common computer features are basically irrelevant for our use. This will insure a system that will last at least 4 to 10 years.  Be prepared to buy adapters. Newer computers lack basic ports we've all become accustomed to in lue of Thunderbolt USB-C ports.

JD

Barry Andersen

Nov 19, 2021, 9:41:13 AM11/19/21
to JD Filkins, Norman Poti, dayton...@googlegroups.com, Mid Ohio Soaring Society, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gil Perez, Tom Boice
JD raises a couple of important points.  I suggest checking with Gerry at GliderScore directly about support for Windows 11. He’ll reply within a day.   No mention of it on the recent updates.  The issue of ports could also cause issues.  I had some difficulty getting a USB2 port to talk to the timer clock. Certainly a question for USBC ports for audio and a clock.

GliderScore is not at all demanding of computing power.  My entire GS  folder is about 210 MB, the data file that stores contests is only 1.5 MB.  20MB would store a decade of contests.  If you’re thinking longterm, would you want to build a timer clock for future contests?  Chris Bajorek is setting up DIY LED panels that can be built for about $20 each; you need 4 10” panels that I paid $50 each.  With a boat load of labor you can build a clock with wireless connection for less than $400.  There’s lots of good refurbished Windows 10 machines for about $300 on eBay.

I’ll support whatever decision you make.  The Win10/Win11 and USBC ports could be a big issue though.  Perhaps some new machines that are still loaded with Win10 on sale?

Not sure if this email will go to the entire group.  I get a forward from my old .nku address, but can no longer send from it.  Please pass along the info if it doesn’t circulate.

Barry

JD Filkins

Nov 19, 2021, 11:13:07 AM11/19/21
to Barry Andersen, Norman Poti, dayton...@googlegroups.com, Mid Ohio Soaring Society, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gil Perez, Tom Boice
Barry, I'm not recommending the computer type based on Gliderscore, or any possible program. It's the operating system that causes fast when new computers to become too damned slow to use paperweights.

Imagine that your new car came with an invisible trailer, and every time you stop for fuel some arsehole tosses a brick on it. Oil changes, tune ups, new tires also come with free bricks.

Computer program updates, security patches, anti-virus et. all are computer bricks.

In this case, if it can't be done within a reasonable budget, do an i5 CPU, but don't compromise on the memory.

JD

Jeff Huntsman

Nov 29, 2021, 5:53:35 PM11/29/21
to dayton...@googlegroups.com, Barry Andersen, Norman Poti, Mid Ohio Soaring Society, Marc Marcum, Jay Watkins, Gil Perez, Tom Boice