Shaders and security?

Ben Constable

Apr 29, 2019, 8:05:19 PM4/29/19
to Dawn Graphics

Hello group – it has been a while but I have some questions about how Dawn is thinking about security and device contexts.

When I was last contributing to the group there was discussion around which parts of the shading language were secure and not, and about how to subset things. What is the current state of affairs of this? Can somebody please link me to where I can catch up on this?

Corentin Wallez

Apr 30, 2019, 12:22:07 PM4/30/19
to Ben Constable, Dawn Graphics
Hey Ben,

Nice to hear from you, it's been a while. The discussions around shading language are still contentious in the group but we basically agree that the security of the language is a programming model issue and not a property of this or that shading language. On the SPIR-V side we have the start of an execution environment that explains how SPIR-V is embedded in WebGPU. This is the basis of securely embedding SPIR-V in WebGPU. The code transform to sandbox SPIR-V itself didn't change from the investigation we produced a while ago.

Hopefully this answers your question!

Cheers,

Corentin