Can I get Info on file level access restrictions through the API?

Laura Huisintveld

May 2, 2018, 9:52:35 AM5/2/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello all,

I have a question about the Dataverse API. Is it possible to retrieve with the API information about access restrictions on file level?
I do see the Terms of Use and the Licence information in the JSON output, but I do not see any access information on file level.

This dataset for example has one restricted, and one unrestricted file: https://dataverse.nl/api/datasets/:persistentId/?persistentId=hdl:10411/IW15PI

I can't see if a file is restricted if I look up the metadata through the API, but maybe there is another API call I can use?

Thanks!

Laura

Philip Durbin

May 2, 2018, 11:52:39 AM5/2/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe we have an API for all of this but we definitely should. Can you please open an issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues ? Thanks!

If you want to get a "true" or "false" back for if a file is restricted, you could try something like this:

curl -s 'https://dataverse.harvard.edu/api/datasets/:persistentId?persistentId=doi:10.7910/DVN/TJCLKP' | jq '.data.latestVersion.files[0].restricted'

But that's just the "restricted" boolean... nothing about Terms of Use.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Laura Huisintveld

May 3, 2018, 4:41:10 AM5/3/18