2018-10-09 Dataverse Community Call - suggestions for topics?

Derek Murphy

Oct 5, 2018, 9:48:26 AM10/5/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

Danny is on vacation next week, so I'll be running the 10/9/2018 Dataverse Community Call. If anyone has any suggestions for topics of discussion, let me know in this thread!

Best,

Derek Murphy
UX Researcher
Dataverse Team

Philip Durbin

Oct 10, 2018, 1:51:08 PM10/10/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

2018-10-09 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* Big Data
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Derek Murphy (IQSS)
* Tania Schlatter (IQSS)
* Philip Durbin (IQSS)
* Pete Meyer (HMS)
* Jamie Jamison (UCLA)
* Jim Myers (QDR, TDL)
* Oliver Bertuch (Forschungszentrum Jülich)
* Slava Tykhonov (DANS)

Notes

* Big Data
   * (Pete) Please fill out the Doodle poll: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/4tqBYDhT8Z4
   * (Jim) Number files too? (Pete) sure.
* Community Questions
* (Jamie) Any experience working with 3D files (question from archeology dept)? Visualization using Unity the game engine. Images of Sumerian tablets.
   * Pete: In my experience these files are usually on the smaller side (1-2gb); but this wasn’t specific to archeology files - those may be different. Should work with Dataverse, though Dataverse doesn’t have a 3D visualizer or any special related functionality like that.
   * (Phil) Over a year ago Sherry Lake posted about a metadata block "to support cultural objects" and "3D data files": https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/9TNH41iGgG8/2HoyPh8cAgAJ
   * (Jim) There's potential to use the new "external tools" framework for viewers for various media types, e.g. audio, 3D visual
      * E.g. an explore data button
* (Jamie) Backups? Especially using S3?
   * Harvard Dataverse is using S3 for production and backing up to non-Amazon storage.
      * (Pete and Phil) Yes, you might want to try the "run_backup" Python script you found at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9.4/admin/backups.html
   * Dataverse logos are not on S3; `docroot` in glassfish home. See https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/c80dc43daf372dd0956c8910b9c78d84eb55d6e9/doc/sphinx-guides/source/installation/advanced.rst#multiple-glassfish-servers
* (Slava) Translating facets? Are there plans for this?
   * (Phil) Currently the team is looking at #4684 - Leave a comment there with your input, questions, what you want to see: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/4684
   * (Phil) Please follow up with on Philipp's post about tools on the Internationalization Working Group: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-internationalization-wg/K_6WNO071W0/hWxAd0KCAgAJ