How to give preview access to journal peer reviewers without them having to register/login?

Joke Bakker

Jun 23, 2017, 5:27:48 AM6/23/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I have a draft dataverse pending acceptation of a submitted paper, and want to give the journal and reviewers access to preview the data. Dataverse lets you generate a preview link, but that still leads to a login window where you have to register first. Is there a possibility to give preliminary access to a draft file without an account, just for review purposes?

Philip Durbin

Jun 23, 2017, 9:32:07 AM6/23/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joke,

I believe the "Private URL to Review Unpublished Dataset" feature is what you're looking for:

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.2/user/dataset-management.html#private-url-to-review-unpublished-dataset

Does that help?

Thanks,

Phil

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 5:27 AM, Joke Bakker <joke....@rug.nl> wrote:
I have a draft dataverse pending acceptation of a submitted paper, and want to give the journal and reviewers access to preview the data. Dataverse lets you generate a preview link, but that still leads to a login window where you have to register first. Is there a possibility to give preliminary access to a draft file without an account, just for review purposes?

Joke Bakker

Jun 26, 2017, 7:26:35 AM6/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply; that's what I was thinking too, but unfortunately this option also requires logging in (although the description says not).
Maybe the feature has been changed? Or could it be a setting that local admins can disable?

Cheers, Joke

On Friday, 23 June 2017 15:32:07 UTC+2, Philip Durbin wrote:
Hi Joke,

I believe the "Private URL to Review Unpublished Dataset" feature is what you're looking for:

http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.6.2/user/dataset-management.html#private-url-to-review-unpublished-dataset

Does that help?

Thanks,

Phil
On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 5:27 AM, Joke Bakker <joke....@rug.nl> wrote:
I have a draft dataverse pending acceptation of a submitted paper, and want to give the journal and reviewers access to preview the data. Dataverse lets you generate a preview link, but that still leads to a login window where you have to register first. Is there a possibility to give preliminary access to a draft file without an account, just for review purposes?

Philip Durbin

Jun 26, 2017, 8:29:22 AM6/26/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
A Private URL should not require a login. That's the whole point. It's too much of a burden to ask reviewers to create Dataverse accounts.

You don't happen to be using https://dataverse.nl are you? There was a bug reported at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3739 but it was resolved.

Phil

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Joke Bakker <joke....@rug.nl> wrote:
[...]

Joke Bakker

Jun 26, 2017, 12:20:55 PM6/26/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Yes, I'm using https://dataverse.nl ; but that's how the system generates the link. The thread you indicate mentions a Viewer role, but that is not something I can select when generating a private url.
Are you sure this bug was indeed resolved?

Cheers, Joke

On Monday, 26 June 2017 14:29:22 UTC+2, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Jun 28, 2017, 7:30:17 AM6/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The bug reported in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3739 was resolved in the sense that I communicated that the Private URL feature works fine out of the box, but it may or may not work if you alter the permissionbits for the "Member" role. The fix is to go into the dataverserole* table of your database and put the permissionbits for the Member role back to how they were when you installed Dataverse. It looks like they're supposed to be "28" for the Member role:

-bash-4.1$ psql dvndb -c 'select id,alias,name,permissionbits from dataverserole;'
 id |      alias      |            name             | permissionbits
----+-----------------+-----------------------------+----------------
  1 | admin           | Admin                       |           8191
  2 | fileDownloader  | File Downloader             |             16
  3 | fullContributor | Dataverse + Dataset Creator |              3
  4 | dvContributor   | Dataverse Creator           |              1
  5 | dsContributor   | Dataset Creator             |              2
  6 | editor          | Contributor                 |           4184
  7 | curator         | Curator                     |           5471
  8 | member          | Member                      |             28
(8 rows)

Obviously, this is quite low-level stuff, more on topic for https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dataverse-dev . I recommend not touching these at all.

I *could* reimplement Private URL with it's own dedicated role but at the time I thought I'd just piggyback off the Member role since it had the read-only permissions I wanted and I didn't want to introduce yet another role in the GUI.

I hope this helps!

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Joke Bakker <joke....@rug.nl> wrote:
[...]

Joke Bakker

Jun 28, 2017, 8:13:01 AM6/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil,

I made some progress with this: I found that the role on the first generated token was set to Contributor; I couldn’t change that so I just deleted the url and generated a new one; the second one had role Member, so this one works as intended.

However, I have no idea why these roles were different in the first place; as far as I can see, I clicked the exact same option “generate private URL” in both cases.

Thanks for your help,

Joke

Philip Durbin

Jun 28, 2017, 8:29:54 AM6/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I suspect your problem was very specific to the installation of Dataverse you were using but I'm glad to hear you're all set! Happy Dataverse-ing!

Phil