Redeposit of data files?

Anders Conrad

Feb 16, 2017, 4:15:30 AM2/16/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

In our testing of Dataverse, we have reached to the use case of redpositing new versions of a data file that has already been deposited and published.

It would seem that versioning of files is not supported? We understand that the workflow would have to be: 1. delete existing version of  file, 2. deposit new version of file, 3. publish.

Is that correct?

I am not an expert in REST API's, but this could maybe become a use case for a future Native API file upload?

By the way, we will be at IDCC next week, hope to meet some of you Dataverse folks there!

Cheers,
Anders

Philip Durbin

Feb 16, 2017, 7:27:36 AM2/16/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
A new feature called "File Replace" was recently developed in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2290 and will ship with the next version of Dataverse, which we expect to be 4.6.1. For now, you can read about it at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/f0f5aea31b5020fcfe0ead5383fbd9211f466c31/doc/sphinx-guides/source/user/dataset-management.rst#replace-files

You're right about the existing workflow or workaround for replacing files until 4.6.1 is released.

I hope this helps!

Phil

Anders Conrad

Feb 17, 2017, 5:58:17 AM2/17/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Phil, many thanks, you always seem to have the features we think of, ready in your sleeve... :-)

The File Replace feature seems to be spot on. I hope it will also be covered by the API.

Thank you!
Anders

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:15 AM, Anders Conrad <a...@kb.dk> wrote:
Hi,

In our testing of Dataverse, we have reached to the use case of redpositing new versions of a data file that has already been deposited and published.

It would seem that versioning of files is not supported? We understand that the workflow would have to be: 1. delete existing version of  file, 2. deposit new version of file, 3. publish.

Is that correct?

I am not an expert in REST API's, but this could maybe become a use case for a future Native API file upload?

By the way, we will be at IDCC next week, hope to meet some of you Dataverse folks there!

Cheers,
Anders

Philip Durbin

Philipp at UiT

Philip Durbin

Feb 27, 2017, 9:33:59 AM2/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, you have me concerned that the upcoming changes[1] to the User Guide may not have enough detail about how the File Replace feature works. Right now it says "This will allow you to track the history of this file across versions of your dataset."

Files are still immutable. What's being added is an optional relationship or association between files. In an upcoming SQL update[2], new columns for "rootdatafileid" and "previousdatafileid" are being added. A file that replaces another one will make use of "rootdatafileid" to know which file was originally replaced. If a file is replaced multiple times, "previousdatafileid" is used to know which file came just before it.

I hope this makes sense! Once 4.6.1 is deployed to https://demo.dataverse.org you'll be able to play around with the new File Replace feature. Feedback is definitely welcome!

Phil

Philipp

Derek Murphy

Mar 2, 2017, 12:28:13 PM3/2/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Philipp, thank you for sharing your concerns. I've made some changes to the user guide for this feature to hopefully make it a bit more clear. Here's the updated guide. Let me know if it's still confusing!

-Derek