Upload thumbnail with API

alexis messant

Jul 8, 2019, 9:41:40 AM7/8/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

I am currently working on developing an application (PHP) to publish datasets automatically with postgresql database and the available APIs (Sword and Native).

I wanted to know if there was an API allowing the upload of a thumbnail for a dataset ?

Thank you,

Alexis MESSANT
National Institute of Agricultural Research, France
test_thumbnail.png

Philip Durbin

Jul 8, 2019, 11:14:22 AM7/8/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! There is a fairly extensive API for managing thumbnails but I don't think it's documented! (Please feel free to create an issue at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues about this.)

- showDatasetThumbnailCandidates
- getDatasetThumbnail
- getDatasetThumbnailMetadata
- useThumbnailFromDataFile
- uploadDatasetLogo
- removeDatasetThumbnail

I hope this helps!

Phil

alexis messant

Jul 9, 2019, 2:46:17 AM7/9/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

That work nice !
Thank you very much !

Alexis MESSANT

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 9:41 AM alexis messant <alexi...@hotmail.fr> wrote:
Hello,

I am currently working on developing an application (PHP) to publish datasets automatically with postgresql database and the available APIs (Sword and Native).

I wanted to know if there was an API allowing the upload of a thumbnail for a dataset ?

Thank you,

Alexis MESSANT
National Institute of Agricultural Research, France

Sherry Lake

Jul 9, 2019, 9:08:34 AM7/9/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Phil,

What is "uploadDatasetLogo"?

Can you have a different image for the dataset thumbnail that isn't one of the files uploaded?

--
Sherry

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 11:14:22 AM UTC-4, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Jul 9, 2019, 9:38:23 AM7/9/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes. "Upload an image file from your computer to use as the dataset thumbnail. While by default your thumbnail image is drawn from a file in your dataset, this will allow you to upload a separate image file to use as your dataset thumbnail." http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.15/user/dataset-management.html#thumbnails

The downside right now is that the image is only displayed at a small resolution. We hope to fix at least the backend of this some day as part of https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5679

eunic...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2021, 7:04:47 AM8/30/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello!

Could enquire if there is an API to upload a thumbnail for a particular file (not dataset)?

Philip Durbin

Aug 30, 2021, 1:38:16 PM8/30/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
No, you can't upload a thumbnail for a datafile (via GUI or API). Thumbnails for datafiles are derived from the content of the datafle (images, especially). There's no concept of having a thumbnail for a datafile that's uploaded separately. You are welcome to open an issue about this if you'd like: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

Eunice Soh

Aug 30, 2021, 8:59:37 PM8/30/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Noted, thank you!