DDI import issues in v4.20

Paul Lesack

Jul 8, 2020, 12:22:04 PM7/8/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Dataverse support group,

I'm now having issues importing DDI xml since the upgrade of our server from 4.18 to 4.20. Studies that previously imported without issue now fail with error 500 (not even an error message from the API).

Here's an excerpt from the glassfish log:

Error processing /api/v1/dataverses/[redacted]/datasets/:importddi: org.glassfish.jersey.server.ContainerException: edu.harvard.iq.dataverse.api.imports.ImportException: XMLStreamExceptionorg.codehaus.stax2.typed.TypedXMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[1,595]

Message: Element content can not contain child START_ELEMENT when using Typed Access methods

Having a look at any of the file affected, it seems that tthe import fails on encountering any <ExtLink /> elements in the DDI, which, unfortunately, is present in the majority of things we are planning to import.

I'm not sure if this is a glassfish configuration error or a some other sort of error, and would appreciate any guidance you could provide.

Thanks very much,

Paul Lesack
Koerner Library
University of British Columbia
+1 604 822-5587

Philip Durbin

Jul 8, 2020, 12:58:52 PM7/8/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The API should never return a 500 error so it sounds like you've found a bug. If you would create an issue, it would be most appreciated: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

In the issue it would be extremely helpful to have the DDI file you are testing with. Perhaps you can create a sanitized version that can be attached to the issue or linked from it. The same goes for your server.log so developers can see more of the stacktrace. Alternatively, you can email these files to sup...@dataverse.org

Thanks,

Phil

Paul Lesack

Aug 11, 2020, 12:10:29 PM8/11/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Phil,

Sorry I took so long to respond. I was swamped with other work and then I was on vacation.

This bug seems to affect all anything exported from Dataverse 3. For example, the DDI from here will likely cause the same issue:

I managed to resolve the error by slightly rewriting the DDI (which I had to do for another purpose anyway), but for testing purposes you could try the the DDI from that study.

Paul