Restricted Data Files

Sebastian Karcher

May 9, 2017, 2:33:27 PM5/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I have two questions on restricted files in Dataverse:
1. I understand correctly that they are _not_ encrypted on the server, right?
2. We're planning to use just the built-in access restrictions for low-risk, de-identified data with a small but non-zero chance of re-identification. Has anyone ever done this and produced language for an IRB/ethics committee they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!
Sebastian

danny...@g.harvard.edu

May 9, 2017, 5:04:27 PM5/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Sebastian,

The files are currently not encrypted on the server. This will be a requirement for work later this year towards the support of sensitive data.

We have a sample DUA here:

Other folks from the community may have thoughts as well.

Cheers,

Danny

Eugene Barsky

May 10, 2017, 12:14:51 PM5/10/17
to Dataverse Users Community
We have been using our Abacus Dataverse with the purpose you describe, Sebastian, for quite a while.

Here is one appropriate study - http://hdl.handle.net/11272/10432

We ask researchers to work with us on a specific language for REB. Here is the blurb for that study:

Secondary use of this data must be approved by an ethics committee/ institutional review board, to comply with our university ethics committee and Canadian tri-council guidelines.
Data is available in several formats, including csv and SPSS (version 23). Please contact XXXXX at XXXXX  or XXXXX  at XXXXX  if you would like access to the data. For your information, the original ethics application number at the University of British Columbia was H12-02418.

Does it help?

Eugene

Sebastian Karcher

May 10, 2017, 12:21:32 PM5/10/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both, this is very helpful. I was particularly also looking for language describing how the files are protected within Dataverse to give the depositor's IRB -- something like SSL during transmission and password protected, but ideally more formal.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Sebastian Karcher

May 12, 2017, 11:32:49 AM5/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
One follow-up, if I may: Does Dataverse log file downloads by authenticated users? I.e. would I be able to track who downloaded a (restricted) file and when?
If not, is that planned for 5.0?
Thanks again,
Sebastian

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 11:33:27 UTC-7, Sebastian Karcher wrote:
I have two questions on restricted files in Dataverse:
1. I understand correctly that they are _not_ encrypted on the server, right?
2. We're planning to use just the built-in access restrictions for low-risk, de-identified data with a small but non-zero chance of re-identification. Has anyone ever done this and produced language for an IRB/ethics committee they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!
Sebastian

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Kraffmiller, Stephen E

May 12, 2017, 11:38:37 AM5/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

Dataverse does log file downloads by authenticated users that are done via the interface.  Administrators have the option of setting up a custom guestbook with which to ask for additional information at the time of the download. If there is no custom guestbook, basic download data (user, file. time of download) are collected by default.

Steve

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CAOSYSD59aJsSMfrJY%3DYUzEpchCb0nRVKX0x8aVXLH_psqOrg%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.

Sebastian Karcher

May 12, 2017, 11:40:04 AM5/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That's great, thanks Stephen.

--
Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Steven McEachern

May 14, 2017, 9:04:22 PM5/14/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sebastian,

I would note here that the custom guestbook cannot currently be used with Restricted Access datasets (which is ADA's interest as well).
The Harvard and ADA teams are meeting this week to look at how we can develop this capability.

Regards,
Steve