how to post a dataset anonymously?

Jason Eisner

Apr 29, 2016, 1:03:23 PM4/29/16
to Dataverse Users Community, Dingquan Wang, Jason Eisner
I'm submitting a journal paper for double-blind review.
I'd like to let reviewers look at my dataset, but I must not reveal *my* name to them.

Suppose I create an account with username "Anonymous Author", and upload the data to Harvard's Dataverse.
Then I include the URL in the submitted paper.
Would that work?

If I did that, would my email address be masked, or would I have to create a special email address for this account that can't be traced back to me?

After publication, would I be able to change the anonymous account to have my real name and email -- or better yet, transfer ownership of the dataset to an existing account with a real name and email?

Also, would I be able to edit the dataset if the reviewers have suggestions?

Thanks!

Jason Eisner

p.s. Dataverse may eventually have more explicit support for this kind of thing: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1724 .  But I'm wondering if the above trick would work for now.

Elizabeth Quigley

Apr 29, 2016, 1:50:21 PM4/29/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, Dingquan Wang, Jason Eisner
Hi Jason,

There's definitely a way for you to do this since you need to be able to do it now. You could create an account using your email address and the username being the username you want but have the Given Name, Last Name fields be populated with Anonymous Author. It's more important to have the name be that because in the versions tab, it will list the name, not the username, of the person who has edited the dataset. Email addresses for dataset contacts are hidden behind the email button at the top of the dataset page so those accessing your dataset wouldn't see it.

Doing it this way, you wouldn't have to transfer the dataset to another account. All you would need to do is after the double blind review process is over, change the Author field in the dataset and update your name for your account. No need for another account if you do that.

If the dataset is published with Anonymous Author as the author and username, you will need to make a new version and publish it so it has the correct metadata. You can also create a new version to make any edits the reviewers suggest.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you need further assistance or clarification.

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Quigley
User Experience Lead
The Institute for Quantitative Social Science
Harvard University

Elizabeth Quigley

Apr 29, 2016, 1:53:50 PM4/29/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, Dingquan Wang, Jason Eisner
One thing I forgot. If you wanted to do a trial run to make sure it all works they way you want it to, we have a demo site available to all at: demo.dataverse.org

Elizabeth

Jason Eisner

Apr 29, 2016, 2:23:20 PM4/29/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, Dingquan Wang
Elizabeth - Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response!   -jason