License Management functionality

Thanh Thanh Le

May 16, 2019, 10:02:51 AM5/16/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello team,

We actually consider to develop a license management functionality in dataverse, according to our need.
The functionality in brief:
+ the super admin of dataverse can manage all the available licenses (add new, modify or delete) and choose a default one
+ the users, when they wants to modify the terms of use on a dataset, they can use the default license, or choose another one among the available licenses.
  And in case nothing corresponds to their needs, they can choose "No" and write a personalized Term of Use (as we have actually in dataverse)

We wonder :
1. Whether this functionality interests the dataverse community ?
2. If we manage to develop it, which mandatory criteria that we need to respond so that you can integrate the developped functionality into the dataverse project?

Thanks in advanced,

Thanh Thanh

Crosas, Mercè

May 16, 2019, 1:11:36 PM5/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
This seems a useful feature.

If you decide to move forward, we should strongly encourage the use of standards and community best practices for choosing the licenses, plus it would be useful to agree on a set of common licenses that would appear by default when a new site installs the Dataverse software.

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Harvard University's Research Data Officer, Office of Vice Provost for Research
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, Institute for Quantitative Social Science

Danny Brooke

May 17, 2019, 11:35:19 AM5/17/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Thanh,

As Merce mentioned, there's certainly interest here. I know there are some existing Github issues about this, but I'd suggest creating a Github issue with some specific use cases that are driving your group's interest in making a contribution. We can discuss in the Github issue and also set up a meeting if needed. We're excited to work on this with you!

- Danny

Thanh Thanh Le

May 17, 2019, 11:52:47 AM5/17/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Merce and Danny,

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for your good idea Merce. We'll discuss 'bout it surely when we can start this.

I've got more details on the way working with you guys, thanks to @pdurbin via the dev chat.
I'll come back to you as soon as we decide how to proceed furthur (on our side).

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Thanh Thanh

Steven McEachern

May 18, 2019, 11:12:01 PM5/18/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

ADA would also be interested in looking into this, as it lines up with our upcoming work on enabling self-deposit in our system.

The challenge for me is which licenses to include. While a "standard set of licenses" would be of use, I'm going to guess that outside of CC and software licenses that this will be limited.
ADA for example has some license terms we try to standardise, but they rely on Australian (and possibly state/local) legislation and regulations. (We currently use DV templates to enable users to "import" them).

A system which enables a DV installation to set up their own set of standard licenses, preferably with the CC and other licenses being licenses we can import, would be preferable.

Cheers,
Steve

Crosas, Mercè

May 19, 2019, 3:54:49 PM5/19/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You are right, Steve, your proposed approach seems sensible.

But as you suggest, I thought that at least it would be good to have (or import) the CC licenses as default. Ideally, there would be someplace to track or register all licenses so that if they happen to be useful across installations, could be easily reused.

Merce

Philipp at UiT

May 26, 2019, 12:58:14 AM5/26/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Such a license feature would be very useful. As Danny mentioned, there are already multiple discussions about this, e.g. https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=no#!searchin/dataverse-community/license|sort:date/dataverse-community/bBhdgfSSoH8/yXJC-hhDAAAJ. Please make sure that licenses can be managed both at dataset and at file level, cf. https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=no#!searchin/dataverse-community/license|sort:date/dataverse-community/1hV5_kewVpE/jSy6g_SVAgAJ.

Best, Philipp

Stefan Kasberger

May 29, 2019, 7:00:34 AM5/29/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

we at AUSSDA - The Austrian Social Science Data Archive are interested
in this too.

Maybe it makes sense to have a first call to exchange ideas and
requirements, to find out if there is common ground.

Regards, Stefan

Thanh Thanh Le

Jun 12, 2019, 4:01:50 AM6/12/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Stefan,

It's great if we can discuss on this, to see whether we have the similar needs.

I suggest that you see directly with our PO @Sylvie here, to fix a time for this exchange ?

Reminder : We are in France (GMT+2).

Best regards,

Thanh Thanh

fa...@kb.dk

Sep 16, 2020, 5:34:28 AM9/16/20
to Dataverse Users Community
This will be a great feature.

In the meantime: What would be the way of changing the default manually from CC0 to something else (we would like to use CC-BY)?
Would it be enough to customize these texts (lines 1619 - 1624), and replace the icon?

Regards,
Falco

Philipp at UiT

Sep 16, 2020, 6:09:46 AM9/16/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Another way to define CC-BY as the default license is to create a default dataset template where CC0 is unselected, and a description of CC BY added. See attached screenshot.

Best,
Philipp
Dataverse_ToU_CC-BY.png

fa...@kb.dk

Sep 16, 2020, 7:14:03 AM9/16/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Good suggestion, thank you.
Is that machine-readable in the metadata then, i.e. does DataCite recognize it?

Sherry Lake

Sep 16, 2020, 8:56:31 AM9/16/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
There are a couple of issues already: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6436 (see links to others there).

As, Harvard-Phil would say, add comments for the issue. More comments, possibly faster inclusion in production?

Best,
Sherry Lake, UVA Dataverse (LibraData)

o.be...@fz-juelich.de

Sep 17, 2020, 6:18:24 AM9/17/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Please add any comments to https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1753, as #6436 is kind of a duplicate/subset.

If you want a nice CC-BY logo etc, please see my mentioned patch in the issue.

Please keep in mind that currently (<= Dataverse 5.0) any license information is not forwarded to DOI registries like DataCite.