Comparative review various data repositories

p p

Sep 25, 2020, 11:58:19 AM9/25/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon all,

Does anyone know if there is a more recent version available of this (2017) blogpost? https://dataverse.org/blog/comparative-review-various-data-repositories

Best, Petra

Kind regards,

RDO team:

dr. Hanneke Teunissen

drs. Petra Ploeg

Contact details:

Research Data Office – L 221

Email researchd...@uvt.nl or r...@uvt.nl

Intranet https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/rdo/

Twitter @TilburgU_LIS_RS

Sherry Lake

Sep 25, 2020, 12:04:54 PM9/25/20
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Most recent (2020), but limited to "generalist" repositories:

Here are some other links (maybe just versions of the dataverse blog):

Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KptHzDHIdB3s1v5m1mMwphcwXhOVWdkRYdjEWW1dqrE/edit#gid=2016420688

From Harvard Biomedical Data Management

Here, we compare and contrast several of the general data repositories and data publication resources currently available for biomedical science researchers. Click on the matrix below to see detailed descriptions of each resource.

https://datamanagement.hms.harvard.edu/repositories

Matix on Google docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_VbZsxYeov1Z19Cf5CkwToDW1WpWLLCS9ZKG7aCmJGc/edit#gid=0

Julian Gautier

Sep 25, 2020, 2:56:51 PM9/25/20
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Petra,

I agree with Sherry. The FAIRsharing comparison at https://fairsharing.org/collection/GeneralRepositoryComparison, which we helped gather info for, is more up to date but includes different repositories.

The comparison discussed in the blog post at https://dataverse.org/blog/comparative-review-various-data-repositories is only passively being updated whenever someone leaves a comment with an update, which hasn't happened in a while.

Ilaria Belvedere

May 25, 2022, 11:49:05 AM5/25/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello again everyone,

in my thesis I am trying to compare Dataverse to other systems such as CKAN, DSpace, Fedora: ideally, I would like to only describe research data management systems that are not presented as "services", but as reusable tools that can be implemented by research institutions on their own. It seems to me that CKAN is not designed specifically for research institutions, that DSpace has been used to store "traditional" data such as publications and that Fedora represents the foundations for other systems to be build on (so maybe it is more like a framework). So I am trying to figure out if there are some platforms, other than Dataverse, that are research data focused, not "services", and that offer both the application side and the back end side. What do you think about it?
Thank you,
best

Ilaria

Sebastian Karcher

May 25, 2022, 12:45:47 PM5/25/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I think several of the general-purpose repositories are used for data commonly enough to make sense to include in a comparison:
- DSpace
- Samvera (formerly Hydra)
- Eprints (esp. in the UK)

Invenio is most similar to Dataverse as a FLOSS data platform:

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Ilaria Belvedere

May 25, 2022, 12:50:18 PM5/25/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Thank you very much for your suggestions!
What about INVENIO RDM? I think it is quite new.
Thanks,

Ilaria

Sherry Lake

May 25, 2022, 1:51:49 PM5/25/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes this Inveno RDM platform is new. I don’t think there is data there yet?

Invenio is the open source data repository software that Zenedo  is based on. It is the software CalState is using (Invenio).

Sherry Lake

Sebastian Karcher

May 25, 2022, 1:54:42 PM5/25/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You mean CalTech, right Sherry? Or is CalState also on Invenio?

Sherry Lake

May 25, 2022, 2:03:21 PM5/25/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Philip Durbin

May 25, 2022, 5:02:17 PM5/25/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilaria (and everyone),

I really don't know anything about Haplo but it hasn't been mentioned yet. They (and Dataverse and other software mentioned) are participating in a "repository rodeo" in a couple weeks:

"The Repository Rodeo returns for another round of questions and answers! This popular panel, featured since Open Repositories 2016 in Dublin, offers a broad overview of the main repository platforms at Open Repositories and provides an opportunity for spirited discussion amongst panelists and attendees. Join community representatives from Dataverse, DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, Haplo, Invenio, Islandora, and Samvera as we briefly explain what each of our repositories actually does. We'll also talk about the directions of our respective technical and community developments and related to the conference theme of “Building Trust Together”, we’ll discuss the role of our repositories, and repository communities, in enabling trust, integration, collaboration, and sharing. This panel will be a great opportunity for newcomers to Open Repositories to get a crash course on the major repository options and meet representatives from each of their communities. After a brief presentation from each representative, we'll open the session up for questions from the audience."

I hope that helps,

Phil

Ilaria Belvedere

May 26, 2022, 4:09:15 PM5/26/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,

thank you everyone :) I think the "Repository Rodeo" sounds interesting, I happened to find the slides for the old presentations. I would really like to understand more in order to point out well enough Dataverse features among the other choices.
Best,

Ilaria

Nico Poppelier

May 27, 2022, 4:53:50 AM5/27/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Ilaria,

A few suggestions:

Haplo and Invenio were already mentioned. Some people (not me) would perhaps add iRODS, but this is mostly back-end with a command-line interface.

I am interested in the outcome of you comparison.

Regards, Nico

Contact details: N.A.F.M. Poppelier, PhD, consultant research datamanagement  | Directorate of Information Technology, Research & Data Technology department
University Medical Center Utrecht

Ilaria Belvedere

May 29, 2022, 6:09:21 AM5/29/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello Nico,

thank you for sharing these materials.
I will let you know about the updates!
Best,

Ilaria

Philip Durbin

Mar 17, 2023, 2:41:10 PM3/17/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I just heard of Djehuty* ("The next 4TU.ResearchData repository system") on the FAIR Data podcast**.

Philip Durbin

Aug 30, 2023, 7:47:38 AM8/30/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
A couple more have crossed my radar: