Dataverse Spanish translation

Juan Corrales

Nov 5, 2015, 5:05:17 AM11/5/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

  I am a developer at Consorcio Madroño (Spain). We are interested in translate to Spanish the Dataverse. We have translated the Dataverse 4.2 Bundle.properties and we are trying to do a translation more complete:

  - Translate the JSF messages (ValidationMessages.properties and org/primefaces/Messages_es_ES.properties)
  - Complete the translation for Strings not translated in some source files.
  - Translate some phrases hardcoded in the database (citation metadata fields, facets, datasets state, ....)

  Could you include this translation (or a part) in the dataverse code?

  Regards,

Juan

--
Juan Corrales Correyero
Ingeniero de Software del Consorcio Madroño

Philip Durbin

Nov 5, 2015, 9:46:31 AM11/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Juan, this is FANTASTIC! I had no idea anyone was working translating Dataverse into Spanish!

I am not personally working on internationalization (sadly, I only speak English) but I will make sure that the right people on the Dataverse team are aware of the work you've done.

Your work is on the 4.2 branch but we've already released 4.2 and 4.2.1 so I did a quick comparison of your branch against the IQSS 4.3 branch, which is where active development is currently taking place:

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/compare/4.3...Consorcio-Madrono:4.2

I'm tempted to make a pull request from this comparison so that I can leave some comments per line in the pull request but for now I'll just make them below.

- You have identified a number of places where we are not yet using bundles both on the Java side (LoginPage.java, PasswordResetPage.java, and SystemConfig.java) and the xhtml side (dataverseuser.xhtml, loginpage.xhtml, messages.xhtml, search-include-fragment.xhtml). This is very helpful to us!
- You have made changes to scripts/installer/install related to a PostgreSQL driver that I don't think we need. If you think these changes are necessary, I would prefer them to be made separately.

I am going to expose my ignorance about internationalization here but can you please tell me how I can see your Spanish version in my browser? I took a little Spanish in high school so maybe I'll be able to read some of it. Another way of asking this is how I can make my browser show the Chinese that's already in our code base at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.2.1/src/main/java/Bundle_zh_CN.properties . In Firefox I clicked "View" then "Text Encoding" and then "Chinese, Simplified" but I only see a tiny bit of Chinese at the bottom ("聽|聽 Dataverse Project" per the attached screenshot). Even if I can't read it, shouldn't I be able to see more of the Chinese? Do I have to change something in the pom.xml? (This question is really for anyone who knows how internationalization works in JSF/Java EE.)

Thanks again!

Phil

Root_Dataverse_-_2015-11-05_09.32.43.png

Mercè Crosas

Nov 5, 2015, 9:52:43 AM11/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Si, es fantástico!! Bienvenidos. Lo revisaremos con el equipo y ya te diremos como proseguir.

Mercè

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D.
Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS
Harvard University

Juan Corrales

Nov 5, 2015, 11:36:04 AM11/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks many Mercé and Philip,

  To see the Chinese or Spanish version, these versions should be available in the faces-config.xml file:
----------
        <locale-config>
            <default-locale>en_US</default-locale>
            <supported-locale>es_ES</supported-locale>
            <supported-locale>zh_CN</supported-locale>
        </locale-config>
------------

  I think that Chinese translation is a little obsolete and there are many strings that are not translated. If you introduced the dataverseAdmin login, you will see more of the Chinese translation

  Our GitHub version is not completely updated. We will merge the Spanish translation and the Dataverse 4.3, and we will profit to clean some work and remove unnecessary changes (we are inexperienced with Dataverse and GitHub) . I think that Monday we will have the merge finished.

  Regards,

Juan Corrales

Juan Corrales

Nov 6, 2015, 8:52:51 AM11/6/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Merce and Philips,
  we have a new Spanish translated 4.3 branch in GitHub: https://github.com/Consorcio-Madrono/dataverse/tree/4.3. We will continue the translation here.

  Regards,

Juan

--
Juan Corrales Correyero
Ingeniero de Software del Consorcio Madroño
Tel.: 914887169
Biblioteca del Campus de Móstoles
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
c/ Tulipán, s/n
28933 - Móstoles (Madrid)
España

Leanne Trimble

Nov 10, 2015, 10:47:26 AM11/10/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It may be of interest that Scholars Portal in Canada is working on internationalizing the Dataverse interface. We have completed a French translation for Dataverse, and are developing a language toggle feature that would allow for a bilingual UI.

Like you Juan, we have come across phrases that are not in the bundle.properties file. We would be really interested in getting a discussion going with the Dataverse team and others who are interested in this, to determine how true internationalization should best be implemented. Would that be of interest to others?

Below I've included some notes from our developer Jayanthy, on the work she has done to date on our project.

Thanks,

Leanne

--
Leanne Trimble
Data & Geospatial Librarian

______

Dataverse internationalization, French/English toggle.
Progress to date:

Forked dataverse 4.2 version from github and updated code in local branch  https://github.com/JayanthyChengan/dataverse/tree/language-toggle-branch

1. Bundle.properties

Added Bundle_fr.properties, and toggle button at the home page to toggle between french and english.
Note: few terms are still in pending for translation, but the code is implemented to toggle between languages

Added LanguageBean.java
Modified BundleUtil.java to handle languages
Modified JsfHelper to handle languages

2. MetadataBlocks tab separated files.

Handled language toggle for titles in below two cases by adding a column for "frenchtitle" in tsv files and loaded into database table.
Implemented language toggle in codebase for titles in below two cases

case "#metadataBlock"
case "#datasetField"

working on:
- title toggle for the case "#controlledVocabulary"
- description columns in all above cases

TO DO:

need to implement language toggle for terms in JSON files which specifies role/authentication details
need to move static String values in java files to Bundle.properties
need to handle popup events/error messages, Facets

Juan Corrales

Nov 11, 2015, 3:19:57 AM11/11/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, Fernando González Ballesteros
Thanks Many Leanne,

  The Spanish translation is not completed yet and I think that the language toggle feature is a great idea. We are interested in the discussion to determine how complete the  internationalization. We will see your code modifications and write back tomorrow.

Best regards,

Juan

Juan Corrales

Leonhard Maylein

Nov 11, 2015, 3:28:40 AM11/11/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we are interested in contribution the German translations.

Leonhard Maylein
University Library of Heidelberg

Am 10.11.2015 um 16:47 schrieb Leanne Trimble:
> Hi all,
>
> It may be of interest that Scholars Portal in Canada is working on
> internationalizing the Dataverse interface. We have completed a French
> translation for Dataverse, and are developing a language toggle feature
> that would allow for a bilingual UI.
>
> Like you Juan, we have come across phrases that are not in the
> bundle.properties file. We would be really interested in getting a
> discussion going with the Dataverse team and others who are interested
> in this, to determine how true internationalization should best be
> implemented. Would that be of interest to others?
>
> Below I've included some notes from our developer Jayanthy, on the work
> she has done to date on our project.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leanne
>
> --
> Leanne Trimble
> Data & Geospatial Librarian
> OCUL Scholars Portal
> leanne....@utoronto.ca <mailto:leanne....@utoronto.ca>
> 416-978-7217
>
> ______
>
> *Dataverse internationalization, French/English toggle. *
> <mailto:dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com>.
> To post to this group, send email to
> dataverse...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:dataverse...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/99494530-d3e5-4d04-8cc5-cfb29ade77df%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CAMYhq906_DsU-QPzTXZgk4txoT5B9mnawk-nxzTR_PwOEUQ-Qw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/CAMYhq906_DsU-QPzTXZgk4txoT5B9mnawk-nxzTR_PwOEUQ-Qw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jonathan Crabtree

Nov 11, 2015, 8:19:25 AM11/11/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Leanne,

This sounds great. I think many groups would utilize a UI toggle for language. I know that we could use it here at Odum.

Jon

Juan Corrales

Nov 12, 2015, 3:59:51 AM11/12/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  We have done a quick merge with the Scholars Portal French code https://github.com/Consorcio-Madrono/dataverse/tree/4.3FreSpa . I am sure that there are issues in this merge and incompatibilities between the Scholars Portal and Consorcio Madroño translations.

  I think that there are several points to discuss to search a complete translation:

  -  MetadataBlocks tab separated files:
    + The Scholars Portal version has translated all text (titles and descriptions), adding new columns to the tsv files and updated the java code to read the database.
    + At Consorcio Madroño, we have translated only some titles, but not the descriptions. Our translations are in the properties Bundle file. We have modified the xhtml files that print the database text to show the translate content.
    + I think that we would search a better idea to do a complete translation. Perhaps use a label in the tsv file (without titles and without descriptions) and use ResourceBundle files to show text of titles and descriptions in all languages?
  - To translate Faces (some event/error messages) I think that can use the ValidationMessages.properties and org/primefaces/Messages.properties.
  - There are text in javascript files (some event/error messages) . I have not a good idea to translate them: Ej: dv_rebind_bootstrap_ui.js: “Edit Dataverse – Edit your dataverse and click Save Changes. Asterisks indicate required fields.” .

  Juan

Juan Corrales

Elizabeth Quigley

Nov 12, 2015, 12:36:50 PM11/12/15
to Dataverse Users Community
This is exciting! Leanne, what are you planning on having the UI toggle look like? If Mike Heppler (UI Designer + Developer) and I could be involved with checking it out, that would be great. Just want to make sure it is in an area that we don't plan on adding other features or anything near.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Quigley

User Experience Lead

The Institute for Quantitative Social Science

Harvard University

equi...@iq.harvard.edu

Leanne Trimble

Nov 16, 2015, 8:24:05 AM11/16/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,

We would be very happy to work with you on the look and feel! Right now we have been primarily concerned with the functionality.

Leanne

Jayanthy Chengan

Nov 19, 2015, 2:19:27 PM11/19/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi:
I investigate on the language issue, there are two tables loaded from tab-separated files(controlledvocabularyvalue and datasetfieldtype)
and noticed parentdatasetfieldtype column in datasetfieldtype table has some separate logic behind it.

Also to handle various languages, it would be better to add labels for titles and descriptions and add the label=value to respective ResourceBundle and modify business logic.

It would be helpful if anyone from Dataverse team offer their input/s on this and whether the above approach will cause any issues with current system?
Note: Merged my code with dataverse4.3 and Consorcio Madroño(4.3FreSpa) spanish: https://github.com/JayanthyChengan/dataverse/tree/language-toggle-branch

Thanks
Jayanthy

Juan Corrales

Nov 20, 2015, 4:43:24 AM11/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Jayanthy,

  I think that your proposal is the better solution to have a multi-language environment, but I don't know the Dataverse architecture.

  I would like to know if these developments are right to the Dataverse team.

  Thanks,

Juan

Durand, Gustavo

Alan Darnell

Jan 12, 2016, 6:14:06 PM1/12/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Gustavo,

Do you have anything to report on this.  At Scholars Portal, we are close to completing our translation work for French language support.  We are identifying error messages that are hardcoded in the Java and Javascript files and pulling these out to the bundles.properties file.  We want to be very sure that the work we have done on internationalization gets incorporated into the main code base for DV going forward.  We don't want to have to redo the work with new releases, but we have not heard back from anyone from DV on this issue since your last message in November.

Are we on the right track in terms of strategies for internationalizing the code.  Will these changes be added back into the main code base or do you anticipate adopting a different strategy for handling internationalization?  I'd be happy to organize a call of all the parties interested in internationalization if that would help move this discussion along.

Alan
Scholars Portal

Leanne Trimble
Data & Geospatial Librarian
OCUL Scholars Portal

Durand, Gustavo

Jan 12, 2016, 6:19:17 PM1/12/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alan, Sorry for the lack of response since November. It's been a little crazy here where had a few unexpected released in order to address some critical performance issues (4.2.1 and 4.2.2). We are starting to get back on track for our more planned releases and features.

Let me check with the powers that be here, but yes, we want to incorporate any work for internationization into the main code base, so it can be used by everyone going forward.

Gustavo

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Alan Darnell <alan.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alan Darnell

Jan 20, 2016, 10:22:53 PM1/20/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Eager to hear more.  We had a call with our colleagues in Quebec this week and it would be useful to be able to update them on work in this area.

Alan

Leanne Trimble
Data & Geospatial Librarian
OCUL Scholars Portal

Alan Darnell

Feb 9, 2016, 5:32:25 PM2/9/16
to Dataverse Users Community
OK -- trying another tactic.

If any other international DV users would be interested in working with us on building translation files, we can share the property files we edited for French language support as well as the source code file changes and ask you to add translations for your language of interest.  Once we have these translations files, we will load these into our sandbox version of DV which contains the code changes we made to support internationalization.  If people are happy with the way the translations look, we'd ask you to encourage the folks at Harvard to take our code changes and incorporate them into the next DV release.  We do not want to work with a forked version, but unless there is some movement on internationalization we won't really have a choice -- we need to support multiple languages in DV 4.

Alan

Juan Corrales

Feb 10, 2016, 7:46:33 AM2/10/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Alan,

  I would prefer wait to Dataverse team decision if it is possible. There is a open issue  (Dataverse 4.4: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/209) . I have commented the options that I think the Dataverse team should keep in mind to translate the environment.

  Best regards,

Juan

Durand, Gustavo

Feb 10, 2016, 5:50:07 PM2/10/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi (Bonjour, Hola) Alan and Juan,

First let me say thank you for your patience with us. In general, working with our partners, and more specifically, internationalization / localization is a priority for us. Recently, we have gone through some organizational changes here, in hand with some process changes, so we are still working on figuring all this out.

As Juan points out, we do have Internationalization scheduled for 4.4, as it is one of the features we had to defer from 4.0, but which we know is critical for our partners in order to migrate (dataCite support, scheduled for 4.3, and harvesting, 4.4, are a couple of other examples).

We know a lot of work has happened on these issues from you guys and we definitely want to work together to get this done and into the core project. As we get 4.3 done, we will begin the process of reviewing this for 4.4 and see how best to incorporate your changes.

In addition, we are planning to have a regular call with members of the community to discuss these types of issues / processes. We are planning on having the first such call on Tuesday, March 1st.

Would one of you be willing to write / help us write the BRD (Business Requirements Document), that we can use as a starting point for further discussion? If so, I can share with you the BRD template we have (currently private, though we plan on making it public soon).

Thanks,
Gustavo

El martes, 9 de febrero de 2016, 23:32:25 (UTC+1), Alan Darnell escribió:
[...]

Alan Darnell

Feb 11, 2016, 11:27:18 AM2/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community
We would be willing to start work on the BRD by capturing all the places in the code that we have identified need attention for internationalization (these are spread out across the database, Java code, and Javascript code) as well as identifying requirements on how toggling between languages should operate.  Please forward the template when you can and we can work with Juan and others to build out the requirements.

Alan

Durand, Gustavo

Feb 11, 2016, 11:29:59 AM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alan.

I'll check with the Powers that Be to make it public, then send out the link on this list.

Gustavo

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Alan Darnell <alan.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
We would be willing to start work on the BRD by capturing all the places in the code that we have identified need attention for internationalization (these are spread out across the database, Java code, and Javascript code) as well as identifying requirements on how toggling between languages should operate.  Please forward the template when you can and we can work with Juan and others to build out the requirements.

Alan

Juan Corrales

Feb 11, 2016, 11:38:41 AM2/11/16
to Dataverse Users Community, Fernando González Ballesteros
Next week we will try merge our fork with the develop Datverse branch to see our migration issues.

Thanks,

Juan

Durand, Gustavo

Feb 11, 2016, 3:24:52 PM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Eventually we plan on putting the BRD template somewhere more official on dataverse.org, but for now I've made the google doc viewable (if you have the link).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VT-8zrw7Kz6yF56Wu-9PTp1_9M7t_YfU-7ekLlkLyUY/edit?usp=sharing

Gustavo

Alan Darnell

Feb 25, 2016, 10:25:20 AM2/25/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Gustavo,

I've gathered together the requirements for Dataverse Internationalization that we've identified so far in our work at Scholars Portal.  I invite others to take a look and edit the document.  I am hoping this can become an "official" BRD and we can identify staffing resources to move the work ahead.

Alan