Which GitHub issues are being worked on by the Dataverse community?

Philip Durbin

Aug 18, 2017, 2:47:59 PM8/18/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi! The Dataverse community asked how they can help with the code and I wrote previously about how we're now applying a "Help Wanted" label to GitHub issues*.

But what happens when someone raises their hand and says they want to help? What's the process?

Someone from the Dataverse team should ping that person once a month or so and ask how it's going. We should ask if you're blocked. We should ask if you need anything to make progress.

This got me wondering... which GitHub issues are being worked on by the Dataverse community?

I created a new spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pl9U0_CtWQ3oz6ZllvSHeyB0EG1M_vZEC_aZ7hREnhE/edit?usp=sharing that is my attempt (with some input from Danny) to list the projects that we *think* you lovely people out there are working on. To give you a flavor of what's in the spreadsheet, I'm talking about stuff like:

- rewriting the installer in Python
- making guestbooks required
- Docker support
- a custom persistent id provider
- integrating Data Explorer with Dataverse.

But what am I missing? What projects are you working on that you'd like to see on the list? Who is the primary contact? Have you created a GitHub issue yet? How can we help?

I've enabled public comments on the spreadsheet so please either comment there or reply to this email if you want to add, remove, or edit projects on the list.

Thanks!

Phil

Amber Leahey

Aug 21, 2017, 1:50:51 PM8/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Internationalization @JayanthyChengan

I'll dig around for any other projects.

Philip Durbin

Aug 24, 2017, 9:33:46 AM8/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Amber. By the way, I put https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2216 down as the issue for Data Explorer, but it probably deserves its own issue. I believe it's blocked on https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3657 though, which is about making "Explore" options more modular.

To all, I forgot to mention that this new spreadsheet is supposed to help answer this observation from the 2017-07-18 community call[1]: "There are lot of communication channels, not always clear which one to use to find out what other community members are working on."

I've also been thinking about how we can better thank contributors for everything they do. We try to remember to thank contributors in our release notes, which are summarized into a blog post. From the perspective of the spreadsheet, I'm reserving the first tab for projects that haven't been merged yet. Once they're merged, my plan is to move the to the second tab called "Merged Pull Requests". There are many more merged pull requests by the community than the few that are currently listed on that tab though. By my count2] we've merged 73 pull requests by the community. Please keep up the good work!

Here's a handy link to that new spreadsheet again, which for now is called "Dev Efforts by the Dataverse Community": https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pl9U0_CtWQ3oz6ZllvSHeyB0EG1M_vZEC_aZ7hREnhE/edit?usp=sharing

I'm struggling a bit with whether to call these "dev efforts" or "projects" or "issues". They are all shapes and sizes. We appreciate all contributions.

Thanks,

Phil

Courtney Mumma

Aug 24, 2017, 10:53:56 AM8/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philip and Dataverse team,

Thanks for putting this s/s together, it's good to see community contributions in one place, and that documentation contributions are included.

On the July Community Call, Slava from DANS mentioned that they were working with miniverse and planning to extend the basic functionality with new reports (https://github.com/DANS-KNAW/miniverse). Would this effort fit into the s/s? I know we'd love to see expanded reporting at TDL, but don't currently have the dev resources to contribute.

Side note: I am currently working with the Texas Data Repository's Assessment Working Group to prioritize reporting and assessment methods for the TDR. Once we've got something solid, I'll share back with the Dataverse community here.

Cheers,
Courtney

Courtney C. Mumma

Services Manager

Texas Digital Library

Email: c.m...@austin.utexas.edu

Web: http://www.tdl.org/

Twitter: @TxDigLibrary

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/texasdigitallibrary

Join the e-mail list: http://tdl.org/news/newsletters/newsletter-signup/

Philip Durbin

Aug 24, 2017, 11:38:19 AM8/24/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with Slava's project being put on the spreadsheet but I would want to hear from him that it's ok. In chat, I've been asking questions[1] like this:

"donsizemore: thanks, but you don't need to send me anything. I'm really just wondering if you mind being tagged in that spreadsheet as the primary contact for rewriting the installer in Python. It means I would bug you about it once a month or quarter or whatever frequency you want. :)"

That is to say, I don't want to tag anyone as the primary contact for a project unless they agree to it.

Even if you don't have dev resources to contribute, you can help at the design phase. I really appreciate all the feedback I got on the "Return to Author" issue[2] I worked on. I think we're building more what the community wants based on feedback like this. Ideally we "build the right thing" and "build the thing right". :)

I'm not sure what reporting and assessment method are but I'm looking forward to a new thread on that topic. :)

Oh and we certainly to appreciate contributions to the documentation. Please keep all pull requests coming!

Thanks,

Phil

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jun 27, 2018, 11:12:08 PM6/27/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

We're experimenting with a new "Community Dev" column on the Waffle board (https://waffle.io/IQSS/dataverse) to show the items being worked on by the community. Since it's an experiment, we don't want to retire this spreadsheet, but there's certainly an advantage to having the more active efforts highlighted in Waffle with the rest of the Dataverse work.

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Oct 4, 2018, 2:14:50 PM10/4/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The new "Community Dev" column experiment was so successful that I haven't been maintaining the "dev efforts" spreadsheet I linked to at the beginning of this thread so I just added a deprecation notice to it with a link to the new column.

There are a few projects mentioned on the spreadsheet that have no corresponding GitHub issue (and therefore can't be dragged from the "Inbox" to the "Community Dev" column) so if anyone is still interested in any of these, please create GitHub issues for them:

- Archivematica integration
- make guestbook required ("requestbook")
- Spark and Dataverse (Big Data Containers, computation)
- Accessibility code review (added alt text to logos)
- Email as username bug fix
- Institutional deposit workflow (redirect to specific Dataverse upon login matching on affiliation)

For details on these (or other projects), you can still visit the spreadsheet and click on the "Dev Efforts" tab.

Also on the spreadsheet I was making a bit of an attempt to thank all of you lovely contributors on the "Merged Pull Requests" tab but it's a bit of a burden and it looks like I haven't touched it since our 4.9 release. Sorry. We do, of course, appreciate all contributions but maybe we can come up with a better way to thank people. I like the tagline for https://github.com/kentcdodds/all-contributors which is "recognize all contributors, not just the ones who push code" for example. I don't know. It's sort of off topic for this thread. But thank you again!

To see the "Community Dev" column, please visit https://waffle.io/IQSS/dataverse

Thanks!

Phil

Amber Leahey