Thumbnails of some file types not displaying correctly

Philipp at UiT

Jun 18, 2022, 7:11:43 AM6/18/22
to Dataverse Users Community
In DataverseNO, we've discovered that the thumbnails of some file types don't display correctly. For an example, see https://doi.org/10.18710/AWRGH1.

We've figured out that this happens with some of the TIFF files, but not all of them. It seems that for some of the TIFF files, correct thumbnails cannot be generated, and that in stead of a thumbnail the system than displays the - in some cases quite long - file name.

Is there a way to make the system display a default "empty" thumbnail in cases where a proper thumbnail cannot be generated? This could be the "empty" thumbnail which is used for unknown file formats; see, e.g., https://doi.org/10.18710/TIZ9II/NZRWOD.

Best, Philipp

Night Owl

Jun 20, 2022, 11:16:31 AM6/20/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi there .. we ran into the same issue, specifically with TIFF files. Ours were generated directly from the microscope, so we thought maybe it had to do with the layers?? The files were pretty large, though. We also realized that we had not set a max thumbnail size limit, so it was still trying to make a thumbnail, even for the larger files, and would just hang forever and never upload the file. Our depositor finally decided to upload the original file w/o a thumbnail (ie: if you limit the size, if it goes beyond that it just doesn't generate one), and then make a smaller version of the file, upload it, and get a thumbnail on that one. I believe there is a way to generate your own thumbnails and manually upload/copy them to the directory where the main files are. If you give them extensions of .thumb64 and .thumb400 (or maybe .thumb48) and size respectively .. one of those should appear on the thumbnail box of the file.

Sherry Lake

Jun 20, 2022, 11:26:57 AM6/20/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You can upload a file to use as the dataset thumbnail & it doesn’t get added to you files. Just a thumbnail - in “Edit Dataset” - “Thumbnails & Widgets”

Sherry

Night Owl

Jun 20, 2022, 11:37:14 AM6/20/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Oh I assumed they meant the thumbnail for the individual file (in the file list), but I could be mistaken. That is what we were interested in.

Sherry Lake

Jun 20, 2022, 11:52:19 AM6/20/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I misunderstood. I don’t see anything in the documentation about how individual files get thumbnails. Your description of manually editing the DB might be how to do it?

Philip Durbin

Jun 23, 2022, 12:29:46 PM6/23/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The incorrect display of those thumbnails reminds me strongly of the screenshots in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/7080

Philipp and others, please feel free to comment there with additional screenshots. Or you're welcome to open a new issue if you think it's different enough.

There's also a related feature request about the ability to delete file thumbnails (especially in this case when they aren't being displayed correctly): https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/8167

Philipp at UiT

Jun 24, 2022, 6:53:05 AM6/24/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks all for your advice!
The issue seems to be related to issues #7080 and #8167.
When I try to edit the dataset thumbnail as described by Sherry, I cannot access the configuration page, but get a 500 Internal Server Error.
Would adding a default thumbnail to these files directly to the database help?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Jun 24, 2022, 7:40:13 AM6/24/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Well, not to the database but yes, as a workaround, perhaps you could place onto the filesystem (or S3, if that's what you use) thumbnail files that you create yourself.