Request for comments on "Restructuring the Dataverse UI as a Single-Page Application"

Philip Durbin

Nov 4, 2022, 11:26:06 AM11/4/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dataverse enthusiasts!

We are seriously considering a major change to the architecture of Dataverse to make it an API-first application, allowing for a more modern web interface and a more modular backend. In particular, we plan to transform the Dataverse UI into a Single Page Application*. We would love to receive your feedback on the document we have prepared and titled "Restructuring the Dataverse UI as a Single-Page Application":

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B1nPh9WD0AlgL8uSM6AeyntEniCNdjumDuyH32VKwDI/edit?usp=sharing

The best way to give feedback is to leave your comments on the document itself as we are posting this to different channels.

The deadline for feedback is November 20th at 12am EST.

Thanks in advance! We can't wait to hear what you think!

Phil

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-page_application

Sebastian Karcher

Nov 4, 2022, 11:56:01 AM11/4/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil and team for the detailed doc,

We'll discuss this as a team, so these are my personal reactions:
1) Are there any examples of data repositories that work as SPAs? How well does this interact with PID services, standard user expectations for stable URLs for content, etc?
2) I'm more worried about accessibility of SPA than the document. Sure, there are React.js guidelines/tools for accessibility, but SPA's do pose specific accessibility issues, much current accessibility technology is designed with standard websites in mind, and many of the WCAG standards are also most clearly described for standard websites. That means that, as I understand the status quo, writing an accessible SPA requires specific accessibility design experience/knowledge. Given more stringent EU regulation entering into force, and more stringent US enforcement of existing regulations (and, of course, the fact that accessibility is a human right), this can't be a secondary consideration.

Looking forward to the discussion on this!

Sebastian

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Johannes Darms

Nov 8, 2022, 2:40:15 AM11/8/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hey Phil, Hey all,

a react based SPA is a great idea. While packing the compiled SPA javascript files as `.war` works and is most likely the best migration path other deployments should also be considered and supported. For example, hosting the frontend in a S3 bucket or as a dedicated docker-image. (The latter would move dataverse more to a cloud native application.) I have a multi-tenant (1 backend and n different styled UIs possible only exposing a dedicated dataverse) use case in mind.

Best regards,

Johannes

Nico Poppelier

Nov 8, 2022, 5:13:29 AM11/8/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Johannes, a Single-Page Application is not necessarily a React application. There are other (perhaps better) JS frameworks. Let's leave that to the development team. I will write my feedback in the document   "Restructuring the Dataverse UI as a Single-Page Application" later this week.

Regards, Nico