favorite features of Dataverse?

Philip Durbin

Apr 7, 2019, 9:36:11 PM4/7/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dataverse enthusiasts!

What are your favorite features of Dataverse? Does https://dataverse.org/software-features (screenshot attached) list them all?

That "features" page hasn't been updated in quite a while and I'm hoping you can help me figure out what's missing.

Off the top of my head... we don't mention OAI-PMH or external tools or Dropbox integration or widgets. We keep adding features... which are your favorites? If you have users, which their favorites?

Please reply here or comment on this issue I just opened: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse.org/issues/65

Thanks!

Phil

--
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.10.11 PM.png

Geneviève Michaud

Apr 9, 2019, 6:56:29 AM4/9/19
to Dataverse Users Community

Dear all,

- API as it is an open door for community-led innovation !!
- definitively OAI-PMH as you already listed it here (both server and client) to facilitate website integration and data portal implementations in complex (read "french" ;) ) institutions network setup
- ORCID alongside Shibboleth support
- DataCite integration
- schema.org support when Google dataset search will be mature enough.

I would be glad to read other users' choice !

Geneviève

Lars Kaczmirek

Apr 9, 2019, 2:09:07 PM4/9/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
OAI-PMH with the Metadata Server is a must tool for us. Without it we here at data.aussda.at would not be able to meet one of our requirements.

Others are
-DOI integration.
-Fixity checks like MD5 and UNF.
-File download in R format.
-ORCID Login.
-Support for usage statistics.
User management module.

Users and stakeholders mentioned
-The download counters.
-The suggested citation (maybe elaborate on this in the feature list because users love it).
-Data can be made available for immediate download (open access).
-Data access can be restricted.

Best
Lars

sent by mobile

Eugene Barsky

Apr 10, 2019, 11:41:58 AM4/10/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Also compliance to FAIR Principles :)

E.

Crosas, Mercè

Apr 10, 2019, 2:43:50 PM4/10/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eugene and others,

Since you mentioned FAIR Principles, here is a recent presentation about what Dataverse features are aligned or support the FAIR principles:

A minor comment: he FAIR principles are "guiding" principles; they are not a standard and are not prescriptive about implementation. So, it's best not to refer to it as "compliant" with FAIR principles (although I have also used the word compliance by mistake in the past). I would instead talk about enabling or facilitating support towards the FAIR guiding principles.

Merce

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Philipp at UiT

Apr 11, 2019, 10:03:33 AM4/11/19
to Dataverse Users Community
That's great! I attended a workshop on FAIR data stewardship a couple of weeks ago, and some of the participants were overwhelmed by the number of requirements one has to fulfill in order to support the FAIR principles. I tried to argue that by choosing a FAIR-supportive repository, you get a lot of FAIRness "for free". I think Mercè's slides illustrate this point very convincingly :)

Best, Philipp

Geneviève Michaud

Apr 11, 2019, 12:01:01 PM4/11/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi all,

I totally agree with you Philipp ! Using Dataverse, among many other benefits, is kind of a boosting mentorship towards FAIRness. Thanks for sharing this bright presentation Mercè !

Best,

Geneviève

Philip Durbin

May 3, 2019, 7:37:41 AM5/3/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I haven't forgotten about this and wanted to thank everyone for your responses so far. Please keep them coming!

I looked at how the list of features is implemented in OpenScholar and it's two lists of raw HTML. It's such a pain to edit that I decided to copy the data over to a spreadsheet so I can re-create the HTML with a script I just threw together (tsv2html.py, attached) after downloading a sheet in tsv format.

I'll look through all these emails again and do my best to come up with a sane list.

If you're excited to help there are a few things you can do:

- keep replying to this thread with ideas
- leave comments on the spreadsheet
- request edit access to the spreadsheet and make a new tab for yourself (or multiple!)

Here's the spreadsheet, "Crowdsourced list of Dataverse features": https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EIFGAfDfZAboFa3_ShRfgoT6xSDpKohDH2_iCyO5MtA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Phil

Best, Philipp

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

tsv2html.py

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

May 5, 2019, 8:23:49 PM5/5/19
to Dataverse Users Community
This is a question for Lars Kaczmirek re OAI-PMH with the Metadata Server. What exactly are you referring to with the Metadata Server? Is this a separate function/feature or you are just referring to OAI-PMH in this way?
Thanks
Janet ADA

BTW I do like the fixity features...

Philip Durbin

Jun 10, 2019, 10:58:10 AM6/10/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Ok, this morning I finally copied and pasted the updated list of features from the spreadsheet I mentioned to https://dataverse.org/software-features

This was more work than I anticipated. We don't have a marketing department. :)

Please take a look and let me know what you think. One of the main things I added was a link per feature to where you can read more about the feature in the guides. To my mind this actually exposes a couple deficiencies in the guides. We don't talk about FAIR at all, we only mention pushing metadata to DataCite in passing, etc. Future work. :)

I included instructions on the bottom of the page for how to edit the spreadsheet in the future and I put some scripts at http://phoenix.dataverse.org/features for now that download the features from the spreadsheet and put them in HTML format so they can be copied and pasted into that features page. I think this is better than hacking on the HTML directly.

Thank you to everyone for contributing ideas! Please keep them coming! Please feel free to request edit access to the spreadsheet. Comments are open on the spreadsheet as well so please comment away!

Thanks!

Phil

p.s I'll attach a screenshot of the features as of this writing and the TSV file used to create it, from the "Crowdsourced list of Dataverse features" spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EIFGAfDfZAboFa3_ShRfgoT6xSDpKohDH2_iCyO5MtA/edit?usp=sharing
Features_The_Dataverse_Project_-_Dataverse.org_-_2019-06-10_10.49.27.png
Crowdsourced list of Dataverse features - Current.tsv

Sherry Lake

Jun 10, 2019, 11:14:44 AM6/10/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

I've got some time this week to look over what you have done. I had started a list for myself (mainly new things included in recent upgrades and cool things the community has done - such as batch import and previewers).

Anything specific (other than what you mention here in you email) you want me to do?

See you and the whole Dataverse Community (the Global Community) next week!!

--
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Jun 10, 2019, 12:02:12 PM6/10/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sherry, for now I created a tab for you (screenshot attached) but let's try to find some time when you're here to go over your list. You and others should feel free to click "request access" to the spreadsheet to work on your own tab: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EIFGAfDfZAboFa3_ShRfgoT6xSDpKohDH2_iCyO5MtA/edit#gid=615846712

Then we can work on moving features into the "Current" tab.

Thanks!

Phil

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 11.59.00 AM.png

Geneviève Michaud

Jun 25, 2019, 10:09:33 AM6/25/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Philip

It looks like this list does pretty much justice to dataverse than the previous one. Impressive and useful. Thank you !

Geneviève
Best, Philipp

Mercè Crosas, Ph.D., Chief Data Science and Technology Officer, IQSS, Harvard University

Philip Durbin

May 5, 2022, 4:53:43 PM5/5/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dataverse enthusiasts!

I'm warming up this thread again because I just updated https://dataverse.org/software-features and I'm happy to get any feedback you have on it.

I added some new features that we've added since 2019 and Dataverse 4.12 or so:

- Embargo
- External vocabulary
- Internationalization
- Direct upload and download with S3
- Curation status labels
- Preview of popular file types
- Multiple stores (per collection, per dataset)
- Microsoft login
- OpenID Connect (OIDC)
- Post-publication automation (workflows)
- Provenance
- Auxiliary files for data files
- GitHub integration

(Actually, some of these like internationalization and workflows are older but felt conspicuously absent to me.)

I also removed Worldmap (RIP).

I moved things around a bit and plan to continue doing so. (I struggle with "important things first" vs "group similar things together"). I'm sure I'll also reword things a bit.

I hope you like the updated list of features but I'm absolutely open to feedback. What do you like? What don't you like? What would draw more people in? What would be clearer?

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. I'll attach a screenshot, a tsv with the features, and the script I'm using to create the HTML.

Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 15-16-13 Features.png
tsv2html.py
dataverse-features-2022-05-05.tsv