Upload unsuccessful (503: Service Temporarily Unavailable) when uploading zip file with HTTP

Philipp at UiT

Sep 5, 2019, 1:29:59 PM9/5/19
to Dataverse Users Community
We are trying to upload a 1.4 GB zip file with HTTP via browser.After about 2 minutes we get the following error message:

Upload unsuccessful (503: Service Temporarily Unavailable).

We have tried this in our production Dataverse, our test Dataverse as well as on Harvards Demo Dataverse, all of which are on version 4.15.1.

Any ideas why this doesn't work? Would we expect this error when, e.g., a file cannot be properly ingested? Any other reasons?

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Sep 5, 2019, 1:51:28 PM9/5/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure why this isn't working. I see mention of zip uploads failing at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2482#issuecomment-209134738

What if you upload a tar.gz file instead? Do you get the same behavior?

Thanks,

Phil

Don Sizemore

Sep 5, 2019, 1:54:49 PM9/5/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Philipp (and Philip),

Is this Dataverse instance behind an Apache or other proxy? In our httpd proxy we specify:
ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/ timeout=600

Don

James Myers

Sep 5, 2019, 2:11:51 PM9/5/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

FWIW – line 86 in fileupload.js is just reporting on an underlying error reported to the browser, so something is causing the 503 error somewhere else (These errors used to be silent failures). I would usually expect a 504 error for a proxy timeout (such as an aws load balancer or nginx) and I’m not sure if I’ve heard of anyone seeing a 503 before (could be from an ajp timeout as Don suggests). Regardless, I would think the relevant Apache/Dataverse/other proxy log would indicate what’s going on.

Also - I tried to upload a 1.6GB file to demo.dataverse.org and it ‘worked’ – claimed that it couldn’t unzip my zip file but uploaded it as one file. If I recall correctly, the connection stays open while unzipping is done, so this is still consistent with timeout - a smaller file that spends more time in the unzip phase than my file could still trigger a timeout.

--Jim

Philipp at UiT

Sep 6, 2019, 12:59:35 AM9/6/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil, Don, and Jim for advice.

I have tried to upload the folders/files as an uncompressed tar.gz. The file was uploaded, but not extracted. We are now having a look at the other possible error causes.

Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Sep 6, 2019, 5:22:28 AM9/6/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I assume the tar.gz file and the zip file have the same contents. Can you please post the zip file publicly somewhere so we can try it and better understand its characteristics? How many files, the size of files, etc.

Thanks,

Phil

Philipp at UiT

Sep 6, 2019, 5:46:03 AM9/6/19
to Dataverse Users Community
I have just sent you a download link by email. Thanks! Philipp

Philip Durbin

Sep 16, 2019, 7:28:05 AM9/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Philipp, that's for sending that 1.4 GB zip file. Last week we tried it in the context of https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/5977 and it was helpful. We also found that smalle files can cause performance problems. Please stay tuned.

Thanks,

Phil

Philipp at UiT

Sep 17, 2019, 2:41:52 AM9/17/19