Problem with 'Too many open files'

boo...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2018, 8:00:20 AM6/6/18
to Dataverse Users Community
We are running version 4.8.6. for a week now and this morning we had a problem that was new to us:

org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: IOException occured when talking to server at: http://localhost:8983/solr java.net.SocketException java.net.SocketException: Too many open files ]]

And Solr request are done for almost everything in the UI, therefore our Dataverse wasn't operational anymore. I had to restart glassfish to get things working.

Somewhere in the code the sockets are not being closed.
Anyone experienced similar problems with 4.8.6?

Don Sizemore

Jun 6, 2018, 8:34:05 AM6/6/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On the Glassfish side: Odum has submitted two pull requests to address file descriptor leaks in Dataverse 4.8.6 (and have a patched warfile we're happy to share with you).

and

Your problems may be solr-specific; there is updated documentation on setting ulimit values at

I hope this helps,
Donald

boo...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2018, 4:36:03 AM6/7/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks,

The file descriptor leaks are a very likely cause, because after upgrading I did a 'reExportAll' and these leaks are in the export code.
Because we run a fork of I should incorporate these fixes in our code, or just wait for the next upgrade and incorporate it then.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM, <boo...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are running version 4.8.6. for a week now and this morning we had a problem that was new to us:

org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: IOException occured when talking to server at: http://localhost:8983/solr java.net.SocketException java.net.SocketException: Too many open files ]]

And Solr request are done for almost everything in the UI, therefore our Dataverse wasn't operational anymore. I had to restart glassfish to get things working.

Somewhere in the code the sockets are not being closed.
Anyone experienced similar problems with 4.8.6?

Philip Durbin

Jun 7, 2018, 7:03:38 AM6/7/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder but since Don is on this thread I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention that Dataverse 4.9 is out and he's already playing around with it: http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2018-06-06#i_68444

For what it's worth, it sounds to me like a problem specific to Solr and I hope the ulimit settings mentioned above would help but please note that Dataverse 4.9 requires a much newer version of Solr (7.3.1 instead of 4.6.0): http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.9/installation/prerequisites.html#solr

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:36 AM, <boo...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Don Sizemore

Jun 7, 2018, 9:44:53 AM6/7/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
"The file descriptor leaks are a very likely cause, because after upgrading I did a 'reExportAll' and these leaks are in the export code.
Because we run a fork of I should incorporate these fixes in our code, or just wait for the next upgrade and incorporate it then."

The fixes were fairly surgical; incorporating them into a patched warfile of your fork might be well worth the trouble.

Note that we didn't get them all but in production Odum's patched warfile seems to top out around 12,000 open file descriptors. Nearly all are named export_*.

The greater fix is to up your ulimit values for glassfish and solr, then kernel security releases should clear out your descriptors often enough =)

I hope this helps,
Don