Dataverse protected video and in 4k

Dario Basset

Nov 21, 2022, 9:33:28 AM11/21/22
to Dataverse Users Community
We have one project that wants to manage a collection of high definition videos (4K).

The project has the requirement to let the users view the video in and outside dataverse without the possibility to download it (as VIMEO does, for example).

Is it possible to meet this requirement with dataverse?
We have dataverse 4.20.
We were able to upload some videos without problems.
If we restrcit the access, the video cannot be viewed.
If we set them open (without restricted access), they are downloadable.

When open, the dataverse previewer has problems to manage them. In fact the 4k view exceeds the screen and reproduction crashes when jumping from one point in time of the video to another.

Kind regards

gwenaël doux

Nov 22, 2022, 5:08:44 AM11/22/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi.
With a Dataverse installation, it's not possible to achieve this kind of workflow. This mechanism restricts the files you want, not the way you use or display the content.
As for the preview video exceeding the window's screen size, dataverse-previewer does not auto resize the video as it does with images. You  can join them on their repository here :
Kind regards
Gwenaël

Alfredo Cosco

Nov 22, 2022, 1:49:29 PM11/22/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
to set and resize video preview you can use the css class .preview in the preview.html + preview.css, that are embedded with an iframe in the page with the media.

Now the css looks like this:
.preview {
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding: 10px 10px 5px 10px;
}

.preview video {
    margin:20px auto;
    min-width:600px;
    display: table;
}

But to correctly fit in the video in iframe this would be a better configuration:
.preview {
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 100%;
    max-width: 100%;
    height: 0;
    border: 0;
}

.preview video {
    position: absolute;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;

But, you can't manage a css (not directly, nor via javascript), that belongs to an external domain.

In other words, if the viewer has been loaded locally you can edit the html or the css or, at least, write a few lines of jquery to target the video resize and fit.

If you are using the viewer from github you can do nothing.

bye,
Alfredo

Philip Durbin

Nov 23, 2022, 12:11:40 PM11/23/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Dario Basset

Nov 25, 2022, 3:35:31 AM11/25/22
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks a lot to everybody.

Dario Basset

Dec 1, 2022, 7:21:11 AM12/1/22
to Dataverse Users Community
We have opened the video visualizer issue in Github ( https://github.com/gdcc/dataverse-previewers/issues).

We also would like to know if someone in the forum is successfully managing a video collection in dataverse.

Philip Durbin

Dec 1, 2022, 8:14:38 AM12/1/22
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dario! I'm just replying with the direct link ( https://github.com/gdcc/dataverse-previewers/issues/16 ) in case it gets buried under dozens of other issues. Maybe it'll help someone who finds this thread in the future.

I'm also curious about managing video collections in Dataverse. When Sonia and I visited an installation in Indonesia I wrote* the following:

"LIPI takes 30 day expeditions all over the county to conduct science and I enjoyed the video they showed us about an expedition to Sumba island so much I couldn’t help tweeting about it. You can watch it on YouTube.

They are interested in making the raw footage and photos available to the world! Tagging the videos and photos with appropriate metadata is important for them and they are considering using Dataverse."

Thanks again,

Phil