2021-04 Dataverse Community News

Philip Durbin

May 3, 2021, 11:42:52 AM5/3/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here's what's top of mind for April 2021:

* The Croatian Social Science Data Archive (CROSSDA) launched: https://data.crossda.hr
* The Riga Stradins University Research Data Repository launched: https://dataverse.rsu.lv
* Dataverse 5.4 was released: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/releases/tag/v5.4
* Dataverse 5.4.1 was released: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/releases/tag/v5.4.1
* Social Sciences & Humanities Open Cloud (SSHOC) is hosting a workshop on June 2nd about translating Dataverse into various languages: https://sshopencloud.eu/events/sshoc-dataverse-translation-workshop
* Slava Tykhonov gave a talk entitled "External controlled vocabularies support in Dataverse": https://twitter.com/4tykhonov/status/1380165858752929799
* Slava gave a recorded talk entitled "Building COVID19 Museum as Open Science project": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehYjSDijjo
* Slava gave a talk entitled "Fighting COVID-19 with Artificial Intelligence": https://twitter.com/4tykhonov/status/1384522911499837440
* Mercè Crosas gave a talk entitled "Integrating Services to Support Research Computing and Data: The Harvard Use Case": https://scholar.harvard.edu/mercecrosas/presentations/integrating-services-support-research-computing-and-data-harvard-use-case
* The 2021-04-06 Dataverse Community Call was about geospatial data (recorded), Chronopolis, a new Ruby library, and more: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GKtr_gEIl2MzJyTg_bYB48MIGUKvC57tXusnKQ39KoE/edit?usp=sharing
* The 2021-04-20 Dataverse Community Call was about curation workflows (recorded), missing files, and more: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wsQ9TZtp7MlLPAH3-a3a1KT8YtRed9_-kP6ubHMvehg/edit?usp=sharing
* On 2020-04-01 the Controlled Vocabulary Values Metadata working group discussed the pull request from DANS to add externally controlled vocabulary support: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s2rXOJzsc2RBjpv84Ziff5yT8fekXIdZiMw_u-yhNQc/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any news to add or comments to make, please simply reply to this email!

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. If you would like to add to next month's community news update, please leave comments at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bX4naeTHWyBoc1y23No43nw-_mvS_ud-rUfyTO5VBxs/edit?usp=sharing

For last month's Dataverse Community News, please see https://groups.google.com/g/dataverse-community/c/ZN7ApH63u5k/m/2tWOSYucBgAJ

For more background on these Dataverse Community News posts, please check out the README at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PtUHfBnu1gnjpZ1Uu7sEEWjW9QWAK2S9K62DbPaPHCQ/edit?usp=sharing

Schlatter, Tania

May 3, 2021, 12:34:51 PM5/3/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Last week I had a poster at the Information Architecture conference on recent research into characteristics of Dataverse installations, and results. The poster is a case study of why and how we applied the persona creation process to installations of Dataverse software. Thanks to the community for being a part of the effort, through responses to the survey and interviews.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SA2W7MKMRXTAzFrZmjVYM-E6o9tT1OQm/view?usp=sharing

- Tania

--- - - - - -  -  -  -  -   -   -   -
Tania Schlatter
UX & UI Lead, IQSS Product Development
Harvard University

Philipp at UiT

May 5, 2021, 3:30:35 AM5/5/21
to Dataverse Users Community

Thanks for sharing, Tania! This is a great poster. Unfortunately, I noticed it to late to include into my presentation at yesterday's consortium meeting of DataverseNO, so my own categorization of Dataverse repositories did not turn out as neat (https://twitter.com/PhilippConzett/status/1389614055309066243).

As for the Persona / Archetype Single Topic Installation, there is actually (at least) one single topic Dataverse-based repository not belonging to the Social Sciences, namely the Tromsø Repository of Language and Linguistics (TROLLing; https://trolling.uit.no/). Technically, TROLLing is currently a collections / sub-dataverse within DataverseNO, but will (most probably) be moved to its own installation.

Best, Philipp

Schlatter, Tania

May 7, 2021, 4:56:56 PM5/7/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, uit.p...@gmail.com, Janet McDougall, Jerabek, Alexander J.
Hi Philipp,

Thank you for sharing the map! While I am aware of the consortium model, and had an archetype based on that primary characteristic for a while, I had not thought much about how consortiums can include repositories of different types, as you point out with the TROLLing example. Your map also made me think about the situation that some Domain-Specific installations represent consortiums of government and non-government organizations. It is a different perspective to consider the number of repositories within installations, what groups the repositories represent, and what this means in terms of goals and scale, management and responsibility.

I hope that the three basic archetypes can serve as a foundation for other groupings of installations and/or repositories, that are defined as needed to help understand a situation or provide perspective.

Best,
- Tania