Dataverse logs

Antonio Jesús Sánchez Padial

Aug 27, 2015, 7:38:37 AM8/27/15
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi everybody!

I've been looking through the site guides but I found very little info about managing our own DVN.

I have got a couple of questions, and maybe some of you can help me with an answer:

1) is there any other log than `server.log`? Can I customize the alerts, warnings and messages in that log?

2) has DVN any account on the number of access, downloads, links to dataset and/or file? is there any kind of support to altmetrics?

I've tried to find a question also in this forum, with no luck.

Best regards,

Condon, Kevin

Aug 27, 2015, 1:45:11 PM8/27/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Depending on your version of Dataverse and your configuration, you will have logs for web servers: server.log for Glassfish, optionally an access log if you have enabled it, and similarly access and error logs for Apache if you are fronting Glassfish with Apache in version 4.x.

You can customize the level of reporting in the server.log: info, warnings, etc. You should refer to the Glassfish documentation on how to do that.

We do record file downloads and dataverse administrators can view online download tracking data and can optionally configure a guestbook to request additional information from users downloading files.

We do not currently support altmetrics but we are planning to provide more detailed statistics. If you have thoughts on what stats would be useful we would consider them.

Regards,

Kevin

Aug 28, 2015, 8:10:40 AM8/28/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Kevin, for your accurate answer.

We're just valuating the tool and have not set what metrics will be interesting for the organization.

Best,.

Philip Durbin

Sep 3, 2015, 1:12:03 PM9/3/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Right, the Glassfish docs are a great place to learn about how to adjust the logging levels, but I thought I'd point out that http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.1/installation/shibboleth.html#sslengine-warning-workaround gives an example of how to do this from the command line:

asadmin set-log-levels org.glassfish.grizzly.http.server.util.RequestUtils=SEVERE

I also have some notes at http://wiki.greptilian.com/java/glassfish but I would defer to the Glassfish documentation. Sadly, as of Glassfish 4 there is no online HTML version (PDFs at https://glassfish.java.net/documentation.html ) but I'm pretty sure the logging configuration is the same as Glassfish 3: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24928/logging.htm#GSADG00010

With regard to info about managing a Dataverse installation, you might be interested in this Google Doc in which we're trying to figure out how best to cover administration of a Dataverse installation in our guides: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLky44JbtCNhGuavLXGEP8WPNdjbyHNxalEGjR78MaA/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this helps!

Phil

Michael Bar-sinai

Sep 4, 2015, 8:48:47 AM9/4/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Dataverse 4.x has a log table, logging all actions on files, datasets and dataverses, as well as setting changes and such. This feature was requested by the DANS folks, to allow auditing by library staff (if memory serves).

No UI yet, but you can query it using the database console.

Philip Durbin

Sep 4, 2015, 8:56:05 AM9/4/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Right, that table is called "actionlogrecord" and the feature was requested here:

Log important events to an audit log - https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1532

Phil